• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine saver II. Coolant loss detection!

How would you want to be alerted if engine lost coolant?

• Total voters
This is going to be cool and helpful

The engine saver II product is sill alive. Wanted to do further testing before starting production. I've had several motors come in over the years with spark plug coils melted into the head. Today I attempted to see if I could heat a head hot enough to the point where the coil would start melting. Suspending a head in the air I placed a map gas torch underneath and just left it cook. I then kept checking temps with my digital temp gun. While these readings can be rather inconsistent they give a general idea of what temps are. I've been targeting a 240 degree F set point for the alarm to activate, so once the valve cover got up to 240 degrees i then pulled the coil pack to see if there was any signs of melting....and there was not. I continued heating until valve cover temp got up to around 260 F. With valve cover at 260 F the temp inside the intake port on one check was 469 F! Still....no melting of the coil pack.

I then decided to stick a coil in a piece of copper pipe and heat the copper pipe just to see what temp the coil would melt. In excess of 400 degrees the coil would melt only when in contact with the copper. With an air space around the coil, which is how the coils sits in cylinder head the coil would not melt. While I don't know exactly how hot the cylinder head has to get for the coil to start melting, I do now that that it must get insanely hot. What is impressive is the fact that the yamaha engine will continue to run with no coolant to that point where the coilpacks start melting in the head! ;)!;)!

After today's experiments I feel at 240 F the motor is still in a safe state. I also spoke to a credible engine builder today and he says heads don't start warping on the nytro and apex engines until around 280 F.

image.jpg

Melted coil pack from an RX-1

image.jpg

Cooking the head. I did put the valve cover on after this photo.

image.jpg

Valve cover up to 256 degrees F

image.jpg

Temps inside up to 469 F!

image.jpg

Trying to determine melting point of the coil pack.

Last edited:

Back