• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

engine stalls when i turn off choke

ottercreeks

Extreme
2006 nytro
I just started the sled for the season and the engine stalls when I shut off the choke. It starts right back up at 1/4 to 1/2 choke but as soon as i flip the lever past 1/4 closed, it stalls out.

any suggestions??

thanks in advance

I bet it wasnt warmed up.. My new 09 ltx does the same thing, if you warm it up, and then turn the choke off as soon as the light goes out, it will idle real low and often die. I ususally let it continue to warm up for another 30 seconds or so, and then remove the choke fully, then it will idle fine on its own...

THese motors like to warmup real good.

Mine did same thing this year. Pilots were plugged solid.

x2thez said:
I bet it wasnt warmed up.. My new 09 ltx does the same thing, if you warm it up, and then turn the choke off as soon as the light goes out, it will idle real low and often die. I ususally let it continue to warm up for another 30 seconds or so, and then remove the choke fully, then it will idle fine on its own...

Your sled should not act like that. I use full choke until it starts, and then turn it immediately to half choke for a few seconds, and then I turn the choke off and it never stalls even when it is very cold outside. You might want to check your pilots, too!

Metallicat said:
x2thez said:

Your sled should not act like that. I use full choke until it starts, and then turn it immediately to half choke for a few seconds, and then I turn the choke off and it never stalls even when it is very cold outside. You might want to check your pilots, too!

I do the same thing, sorry if I portrayed it otherwise. I start the sled, with full choke, then once it starts move it to half to have a fast idle around 2200 rpms, but if i remove the choke fully as soon as the light goes out it will drop the idle below 1000 rpms and die,

so I leave it on that idle for about 15 to 30 seconds after the light goes out, and then remove the choke completely and its fine.

My sled has 1 mile onit, and my 06 did the same thing... I doubt that is the problem.

I understand what you're saying, but I can have my choke turned off almost instantly, and certainly many minutes before the "cold engine" light goes off and it never stalls. Even in 10 deg F temps, it will idle very low but will never stall with perhaps 30 seconds total of choke time. If I grab the throttle hard it will stall when it is cold, but it will idle fine otherwise.

x2thez said:
Metallicat said:
x2thez said:

I do the same thing, sorry if I portrayed it otherwise. I start the sled, with full choke, then once it starts move it to half to have a fast idle around 2200 rpms, but if i remove the choke fully as soon as the light goes out it will drop the idle below 1000 rpms and die,

so I leave it on that idle for about 15 to 30 seconds after the light goes out, and then remove the choke completely and its fine.

My sled has 1 mile onit, and my 06 did the same thing... I doubt that is the problem.

My 2009 Vector GT, with 358 miles on it, does the same thing. Start it, slide the choke to about half way when it starts, and slowly I get it to choke fully OFF, when the light goes out. Idle will drop to about 1000 and once in awhile it will stall. It's a bit odd, because last year when it was brand new, it idled fine with the choke completely off just about immediately after starting.

I would believe my idle is set a bit low and this is the entire problem. I did not use reformulated gas that would clog jetting, plus I used fuel stabilizer over the summer and started in once a month. I'm having them check it when I take it in for 500 mile oil change.

Some engines are "coldblooded", they like the choke. Others you can start and go right off the choke. It seems like every new sled I get I need to learn it's personality. The 08 Vector I got this year for my wife loves the choke, and yes the carbs are clean and sync'ed. After this one nothing but EFI.

the local dealer cleans the carbs on anything new (that has carbs) due to the poor quality of gas. the factory does test fire the motor and there will be gas in the carbs from the factory.

Back