• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

expert suspension, what is it? parts?

westbaycustoms

VIP Member
bought this at a swap meet, from what i read its probably worth more than the $35 i paid for it :Rockon: , any how its missing some small parts, i thought it was out of a 1998 formula z when i bought it but parts i need are not the same, nor does it look totaly the same, so what is it and where do i get parts

Attachments

• 101_0922.jpg
    101_0922.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 100

site says my pics are too big and cant figure out how to make them smaller, the arm that goes to the front mounting bolt is only one 3" arm where the X version has two parallel arms on each side

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 107
I know they used a similar design in the 1999 Ski-Doo DLX 670 this may or may not help you....The first design of the Expert was used in by Ski-Doo before it was sold as an aftermarket suspension. There were many reliability problems with it. Unfortunately you just may have bought 35 dollars worth of scrap aluminum... Parts availability and pricing may make rebuilding this not cost effective.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_s ... detail.asp

That is definitely an original "Expert", which is a predecessor to the "Expert-X". From the pictures, it looks like its been through a lot, mostly salt.

Things I notice about it;
1) It has DTR, which was subsequently removed for the older Expert-X, and then made available as an optional accessory, and then again made standard.

2) It has SINGLE LAYER main swing arms. The Expert-X swing arms are double layer (spaced about 2" apart) for added durability.

3) There is only one upper wheel, so this is probably not suitable for high-powered sleds.

4) Transfer doesn't appear to be particularly adjustable. ExpertX has trailside adjustable forwards and backwards coupling. This appears to have different "holes" to put the lower shaft into, but I question how effective this system is.

5) Ride height adjustment looks to be a pain in the a$$ -- Expert-X has trail-side adjustability for ride height.

6) No "dynamic stoppers", which are added springs that kick in when you're getting close to bottoming.

It looks like most of your problems with it are simple; a few bolts, and a couple of wheels. Bolts are standard and can be purchased at Home Depot. Wheels and bearings are also standard (for skidoo) and can be purchased at a doo dealer or any aftermarket dealer (such as those who sponsor this site).

After taking it all apart and cleaning it all up, it should be OK.

Could you post some pictures focusing on the rear axle and the front mounts?

I'll confirm what I've already said before about it. Dirty as hell, but not in bad shape. Home depot will have all the missing bolts.

The only *major* component that appears to be missing is the front cross-shaft. Not a big deal, all you need is a (preferably aluminum) bar that fits in the tube and a couple of bushings for between the tube and the bar. You'll need to drill and tap the ends of the bar so that you can bolt it into your tunnel. You may also need spacers to fill the gap between the suspension and the tunnel.

Also, you obviously need some new straps. Not a big deal since you can pretty much use ANY straps as long as you adjust them to the right length.

On every missing bolt, run a tap through the threads to clean it up, and reassemble with lots of red loctite.

Back