• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Extra fuel on a fx nytro

grizztracks said:
The tour buddy is ugly and adds extra wt on the rear. The Yamaha saddle bag tanks have to be filled then transfered by hand to the fuel tank when needed (also adds wt on rear). The trail tank is a little pricey but I think its the best option and can look OEM. The extra wt is centered, installation is easy and you have only one gas cap. I'm happy with mine.

015.jpg

my thoughts are the trail tank looks the best..but the weight is up front and the weight in the rear is a better option for equalizing the weight bias that these fourstrokes suffer from...also..supposedly the plugs cant be changed without removing the tank and there is the possiblity it traps air inside the engine compartment more than the stocker which can help lead to overheating...
as a side note the saddle bags can be used for touring bags when gas isnt needed..

here is my setup, no straps or other crap to deal with, tank & mount is from mountain addiction, 1 cotter pin to remove tank. I added a little bit of heat shield on the tank just to be safe.

Attachments

• DSCF0011 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0011 (Medium).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF0005 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0005 (Medium).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 166
truely the above reasons are just opinions for not getting the trail tank.

in my opinion, the trail tank is the only option, unless you have a tunnel extension and you can use the skidoo fuel can back there. i have both and run 13.5 total gallons on the sled.

forward weight bias will not be a concern after 30 miles, the sled will be the same as a stocker.

changing the plugs is non issue, fourstroke efi sleds are not prone to fouling plugs. unless the user does something to promote the fouling.

trapping warm air inside the cab? first i ever heard of that. the smaller stock tank has shrouds that are the same size as the trail tank, with no venting on them. so, the trail tank will vent under hood temps, the same as a stocker.

ski

stock said:
How did you use original fasteners for body panels with trail tank ?

I mounted them in a lathe, turned and then threaded. Ran them last year for several hundred miles and never had a problem with them loosening.

001.jpg

skidooboy said:
truely the above reasons are just opinions for not getting the trail tank.

in my opinion, the trail tank is the only option, unless you have a tunnel extension and you can use the skidoo fuel can back there. i have both and run 13.5 total gallons on the sled.

forward weight bias will not be a concern after 30 miles, the sled will be the same as a stocker.

changing the plugs is non issue, fourstroke efi sleds are not prone to fouling plugs. unless the user does something to promote the fouling.

trapping warm air inside the cab? first i ever heard of that. the smaller stock tank has shrouds that are the same size as the trail tank, with no venting on them. so, the trail tank will vent under hood temps, the same as a stocker.

ski

I want a trail tank..as well as the gas caddies... IMHO after thirty miles the two gallons burned would still leave more fuel than the stock one and at a higher and more forward level..look at where the extra room was gained...second the tank hangs over the motor and although Ive never fouled a plug...some have and found this out..and the added part that I am referring to that partially covers the motor..its not my opinion but specualtion of others who have them that found higher operating temps after....only after exhaustive searching do i come up with others thoughts and info on this...
the lopsided front to rear bias would improve as fuel was burned in a stock tank with a gas can or caddies since they stay full til use.as to the tour buddy since it drains first the bias benefit would be there until after it used the contents first ..then it essentially becomes equal to the trail tank...

if you think theres no bias benefit...consider this..4 gallons of gas weighs about 6.50 pounds...3 gallons being about 19.50 pounds..we'll call it 20lbs for agument sake...take a 20 lb weight and mount it essentially on your stock tank and hit the twisty trails...then take the same 20 and put it on the rear of the skid of a sled that has more weight up front than most ( a fourstroke)...anytime you can take weight from the front and move it to the rear (to some degree and of course removing it completely would be optimal)and taking it from a higher point on the vehicle and moving it lower on the chassis handling will benefit..
remember most ....even those who love the nytro will agree there is a lot of weight over the skis...the more weight that is removed or at least put to the rear the better effect on this sleds handling dynamics...kind of like automobiles where the goal is as close to 50/50 weight distribution..

sj said:
grizztracks said:
The tour buddy is ugly and adds extra wt on the rear. The Yamaha saddle bag tanks have to be filled then transfered by hand to the fuel tank when needed (also adds wt on rear). The trail tank is a little pricey but I think its the best option and can look OEM. The extra wt is centered, installation is easy and you have only one gas cap. I'm happy with mine.

my thoughts are the trail tank looks the best..but the weight is up front and the weight in the rear is a better option for equalizing the weight bias that these fourstrokes suffer from...also..supposedly the plugs cant be changed without removing the tank and there is the possiblity it traps air inside the engine compartment more than the stocker which can help lead to overheating...
as a side note the saddle bags can be used for touring bags when gas isnt needed..

The trail tank is not causing overheating. My sled had an overheating problem before the new tank and it didn't get any worse or better after the install. (tunnel heat exchanger will fix the overheating problem)

The tank can be unbolted in a matter of minutes to get at the plugs and with the tank slid back it's even easier to get at them. I've not yet heard of anyone needing to change plugs out on the trail. I don't even carry spares. I did away with needing them when I upgraded to a four stroke.

The tank only adds 2.6 gallons which gives me about a 150 mile range per tank. This adds about 16 lb over the top of the center shock. The added wt is distributed much better from front to back rather than having it all sit on the rear spring. I don't even notice the extra 16 lb.

Yes, you can remove the cans from the saddle bags and use them for storage but I don't like my extra gear smelling like fuel. I have a Yamaha bag for extra gear and I also have a few extra gallons of gas with the trail tank.

If Yamaha came out with a 10 gal tank on the Nytro from the start we wouldn't have this discussion.

When I looked at the trail tank vs. the caddies it came down to price...I was looking at $500 by the time I paid for duty, shipping, and exchange for the trail tank. I got a good deal ($160 tax in) for the caddies and have been happy with them. BTW having to stop to fill the machine is not really a problem because it's not very often I ride over 100 miles without stopping or hitting a gas station. The few times I needed them I was happy to have them because they saved me a 20 mile walk. I guess at the end of the day it's each to his own, all I know is the $340 I saved went to clutching and spring spacers. My 2 cents...

upei93 said:
When I looked at the trail tank vs. the caddies it came down to price...I was looking at $500 by the time I paid for duty, shipping, and exchange for the trail tank. I got a good deal ($160 tax in) for the caddies and have been happy with them. BTW having to stop to fill the machine is not really a problem because it's not very often I ride over 100 miles without stopping or hitting a gas station. The few times I needed them I was happy to have them because they saved me a 20 mile walk. I guess at the end of the day it's each to his own, all I know is the $340 I saved went to clutching and spring spacers. My 2 cents...

dont see how you could get them including tax for that price....cant touch that here..

sj said:
upei93 said:

dont see how you could get them including tax for that price....cant touch that here..

What I think happened is that my dealer ordered a bunch of them and they didn't sell as well as he thought they would and I walked in at the right time...It didn't take me long to pull out my card!!

I could never tell any difference between a full tank and one with one gallon of gas left when riding. I think for rough trail riding the trail tank is the way to go.The saddle bags must take a beating when the trails get rough and you have that weight in there pounding around.

Hi, im new to this site and was about to go out and buy a trail tank, but after reading about it on this site, im not convinced that its the right way. Some say heating problem, on another post, there a guywho had problem with is tank leaking and catching on fire......

People who has a trail tank for a while please let me know what your thoughts are.
I run a mcx turbo so im not sure if it matters. Will the tank still fit

Thanks

here is my setup, no straps or other crap to deal with, tank & mount is from mountain addiction, 1 cotter pin to remove tank. I added a little bit of heat shield on the tank just to be safe.
Where you get the heat shield?

Love my trail tank gives me a 135-145 mile range with my XTX.

Pete

Where you get the heat shield?

Been awhile since I did this, but I am certain the heat shield wrap, is from a fuel tank on an apex or vector. Part # is 8fp-24141-00-00. That's a yamaha part number, but I bet u could buy else where.
Just an fyi, never had any issues with my the set up I used,

Back