• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Factory Yamaha " computer scanning tool " does one

scott17

Extreme
Having serious running issues with my 09 Nytro and at the point of dropping off to a dealer....does a Yamaha dealer have a plug in computer scanning tool ? I'm not paying a dealer to read the same codes we can and say gee nothing wrong $90 please ! If no tool even exists then I'm gona order a factory manual and follow my self... No codes....runs only above 2500 won't idle just stalls...above 2500 rpms pops / back fires a little then u mash the throttle it flys.....

dont order a factory manual. look for a post from me (Mills) that has a link in it to the free downloadable version of the Yamaha service/tech manuals '08 - '10. don't worry about what it says on the first page as far as the models listed. it is for all models '08 - '10.

Scott - I cannot find the post I put in the General Talk area. If you want a free copy I can burn it onto a CD and send it to you. PM me if you want one.
If several others want it, I would prefer to put it on this site somehow. anyone know how to put a 50+ MB file on this site?

Thanks all....sled has 690 miles now....many sets of plugs, removed throttle bodies soaked injectors in see foam, new crank sensor, fresh gas, see foam, 2014 red relays, after every change a new set of NGK plugs.....by passed throttle, loosened TPS and moved no change other than tripping a code....wen I can get it to idle very rich and roughly moving the TPS does change idle up down ever so slightly....but a change ! Went thru all tests in diagnostic mode......all work / test with no issues recorded by the double 00 counter.....

My 08 did this and I took off the starter relay and replaced it and it cured it. THat thing was severely corroded inside. For $40 its worth a shot I did all the self tests and one thing I found was with a volt meter that baffled me..... ground on the battery and positive on the radiator support gave me 13 volts..... it should be 0 as you shouldnt have residual voltage.

Worth a shot.

mnman309 said:
My 08 did this and I took off the starter relay and replaced it and it cured it. THat thing was severely corroded inside. For $40 its worth a shot I did all the self tests and one thing I found was with a volt meter that baffled me..... ground on the battery and positive on the radiator support gave me 13 volts..... it should be 0 as you shouldnt have residual voltage.

Worth a shot.
I just put all new 2014 " red relays on " but I will swap them around as when I got three new relays one box had been opened.......kinda odd but maybe some one pulled a switcharoo....? ? Interesting thought

Thinkin back 3 yrs ago......sled was put away running perfect... In the fall I went to start it up to move it from storage to garage. When I started it the battery was real low.....but stupid me I kept cranking it them it fired up and rite away it ran crappy back fire etc... Didn't put much into it as I thought it was bad spark plugs...month or so later went to fire it after the battery was fully charged and presto....ran like crap ! Does this explain anything to some one having a similar problem ? ?

The starter relay is not one of the red relays. It is near the oil tank on the outside of the frame in plain veiw. I you haven't ever changed that one, give it a try first. Red power cable from the battery runs right to it. Maybe someone can post a pic, I know there's a good one on here somewhere

Yup it is located under the black right side upper plastic panel. If you draw a line from the top of the right front shock maybe 12" back that's where it is. There are a couple of automotive fuses right next to the relay as well. I think you can actually see it thru the vent on that upper right plastic body panel.

like Yukon says, the tech manual will show you how to use the speedo/tach display as your scan tool and code generator. The manual will show you how to evaluate each code via the display as well.

Back