• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Figuring out the XTX Rear End

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
Last season I fought a terrible push in the front of the sled with all of the transfer of the uncoupled 141" skid. I ended up turning the front skid shock spring to full loose when the sled is off the ground. I installed 1-1/2" shorter limiter straps. I installed simmons flex skis with 2 -8" carbides on each ski. The results were better handling with still a bit of a push when ever any throttle added in a turn. I tried all kinds of air pressures in the rear float and found 100# bottomed out badly 140# would launch me over the handlebars on rutted trails at high speeds. I settled at 125# but still have considerable front lift & push under acceleration. The result was an ok trail sled but unpredictable and required so much steering pressure that arm pump and fatigue was an issue. It felt like a sled of twice its listed weight and was very dead feeling up front with so much weight on the skis even with the Evol rc2 shocks.

I finally decided to add the Zbros pro climb coupling system and change the rear skid shock to their Exit remote resevior coil over with clicker adjustment. I hope that I can find some middle ground on the transfer without having to load the skis so heavy and can dial in a bit of spring on the front skid shock to reduce the low speed front end weight.

I am also thinking of going to a lighter on the sway bar up front because there is no roll in this sled what so ever. It runs through corners so flat with no ski lift. I think a little roll is good to get the outside ski to bite. All of my old RX's even with 13 mm swaybars lifted the inside ski 6 to 12 inches placing pressure on the steering ski, creating bite. My Pro R 800 has crazy lift but will go through any turn flat out if you have the lack of fear to do it.

Well after several emails back and forth to Zbros now they say that the coupling blocks will not work on the XTX so I went with the shock they are building it to match my specs but I need to find someone that has a coupling system for the 141" suspension.

ARC remote coupling. Its give you the best of both worlds.
Coupled on trail and uncoupled offtrail.

Yes the ARC is a great new product but at $ 1250.00 its not cheap vs the $189.00 for the Hygear system. The Hygear system also changes the geometry a bit to flatten the rear in the chatter and heavy compression on badly chopped trails. I do ride off trail but boondocking only not mountains that often so loosing the uncoupled does not matter to me.

I cancled the EXIT shock from Zbros cause it will not work with the new geometry of the new control rods and the indexing on the clicker will interfere with the hygear system. I ordered the Hygear progressive coupling linkage with a fully adjustable AXIS bound, rebound and compression adjustable coil over resevoir shock set up for this system and tune to my wieght for under $1000.00 which gets rid of the fox rear shock shich I also hate on the trail.

Steve, it prolly been better just getting new shocks and getting a LTX skid. Me and yours were the same thing. Besides the shocks and no coupling. The tunnels seemed to be the same length or really close.

Tim, Tim Tim - The tunnels are the same but buying a skid is an expensive endevour it would involve a track and driver change cause there is no 137" 1.6" or larger paddle tracks with 3.0 pitch.

Hygear promissed me that this set up will make it just like the LTX short of the torsion bars but with the AXIS shock I will have much more tunability than the LTX stock shock and spring rate adjustment rather than the 3 torsion settings. Besides I don't want to risk people thinking I am you:tg:

Tim, Tim Tim - The tunnels are the same but buying a skid is an expensive endevour it would involve a track and driver change cause there is no 137" 1.6" or larger paddle tracks with 3.0 pitch.

Hygear promissed me that this set up will make it just like the LTX short of the torsion bars but with the AXIS shock I will have much more tunability than the LTX stock shock and spring rate adjustment rather than the 3 torsion settings. Besides I don't want to risk people thinking I am you:tg:

Ok Steve, it was just a suggestion, and mines blue anyway! I'm excited to check out your shocks!!

Back