• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Finally tore down the front clip **Updated Jan 12**

How big of a job is this? Looking at the microfiches online, it doesn't really look all that difficult. Did you have to remove all the plastic rivets on the tie rod boots, or is there a way to avoid all that.

I bent my 09 subframe, it's at the Dealer right now and I'm awaiting to see if this is covered....not a happy camper here.

Its not a big job at all. I did it one Saturday morning and finished around mid afternoon. The tie rod boots do not have to come off, the tie rods slide right through the opening in the boot. Of coarse I found that out after I drilled about have of them off.

Well, the Yammy rep looked over my sled and I'm not covered! :o| He said it was the result of an impact.

Just a heads up to those having subframe issues, keep an eye on your A arm mount bolts. One for my upper arm backed out and could have caused significant damage had I not noticed it when I stopped for a break.

Man, I really hate rocks. This is the result of a left side hit while climbing a small hill. I was carrying enough speed that I was tossed over the sled to the uphill side. The sled landed on the ledge at around 75 degrees to the origional direction, couldn't hold it up there though and the sled rolled over and slid down the hill until the ski hooked a tree. Amazingly, It doesn't appear that I lost any oil.

How did your strengthened sub frame hold up?
Did it bend anywhere?

Too hard to tell yet. Need the new arm to se where the frame is at. I think it's probably bent again, I hit it a ton, but I'll get the bar or chains out to 'fix' it.

Forgot to update this! The frame took the rock hit in stride and everything was back where it was before the hit when I installed the new a-arm. The arm is a pretzel now that it's out and I'd have a hard time putting it back in as the rear leg twisted as well as bending. I'll pull the bushings and balljoint (new arms come with the ball joint installed for some reason....which is why they cost so much) for spares and hang the carnage on the wall of shame in the garage.

In the last week, I've managed to remove the subframe from my sled and take it to my Uncle, who helped me get everything back in line (hopefully) with the tweaked front end.

He ended up repairing a couple of ovalled out holes and welding in a couple of gussets to the rear lower A arm bracket. It was this bracket that suffered the most damage and got all bent out of shape. If you look at the pic, you can see why, as the rear bracket isn't supported all that well to the rest of the frame.

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 107

Back