• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride of the year, it was a good day.

polarisconvert

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX1
Ted Jennety Clutching, jetting, air box mod.
Arctic Cat Z1 Turbo 128" Rear Suspension
128" Hacksaw 1" track.
Heated seat
My work keeps me from getting out so this was my first trip up north.
I bought a 05 RX1 a year ago. I put in Ted Jennetty clutching, jetting and air box. I got out a couple times last year and it run very good from what I could tell. I beat several sleds, most were modded. I also run a Apex and could drive away with no problem. I don't know any thing about the Apex.
I had one sled that I could not beat that is in our group. The sled is drove by a young girl that is not very big. It is a MXZ 800 Adlenalin with Crank Shop BB with twins. The sled is much lighter than my sled, she is much lighter than me and the motor puts out around 160 hp, but Crankshop if very conservative with hp. This sled always hooks hard and has about 2/3 chisels. I run her last year on a hard packed road and she hooked and got the hole shot, and pulled me in the middle and top. I felt that if I could have hooked I would of had a chance. I had 192 studs and full transfer but it will bust loose on a hard pack road. Last week I installed a 23 tooth top gear and took out 48 studs and replace with chisels. The snow up north was very light and the roads were not very good. We finally found a road good enough for a roll on race. We touched them off at about 20 mph. She hooked and I didn't, must of been on some loose snow. We lined them up again and I hooked and pulled her about 1/2 and held the lead until we let off at about 100 mph. We had run out of room. We now had to run one more time, best two out of three. The third race she was very late on the start so we did the race over. This time I was a split second late and she got a ski tip out on me and that is where we finished. So she got me 2 out of 3 but I am very happy with how my sled run. I had a 96 Ultra with a HTG 900 pushing 200 hp. I would leave the Doo off the line, but she would run me down on the big end. I know it dosen't sound right but that Doo runs hard.
So I am pretty happy with the way I have it set up, I love the motor in my sled.
Now I need to work on the ride because it is pretty bad. Not sure if I sould go with Pioneer or Hygear (not sure if that is the name of the company with the dual rate spring).

P.S. The big joke of the day was that I am getting old because I added mirrors to my sled. I really liked the mirros, they worked great and the sled didn't run to bad for a grandpa sled.

Bruce

Sounds like a good day ;)!
Is the apex studded? They out horsepower the RX-1 and with traction should walk one. Even with your mods.........

I don't know if the Apex was studded. I was trolling on Houghton Lake last year. I waved him down and asked for a race. He replied that the snow was not to good for racing but agreed to it. The snow was loose on the lake and somewhat deep. Both races were roll ons. I don't think it would matter if he was studded or not. On the first race he thought I jumped a little. So on the second race I told him to just hit it when ready, no flag. I was probably 2-3 sled back after the start. I run him down and drove by at a good pace. Maybe the sled was not running right? I am not saying that this is how every race will go with a Apex, it was just one race. I will say if a Apex would run with this Doo then I am impressed. I watched this same Doo run a well tuned Mach Z 1000 on ice. Both sled had speed tracks with chisels. Her dad was driving it on this day and he is a big boy at about 260lbs. He run side by side with the Mighty Mach, and the Mach was cleaning house that day.

Back