• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front frame changed affecting the Toe

GT44

Extreme
The dealer replaced my bent 08 front frame for the updated 09 front frame, props to Yamaha. When it went in the Toe was fine 1/2 inch at most, now with the new frame it is 1 1/2 inchs. The dealer obviously never looked at the toe, probaly thought it would'nt be an issue.

Will the difference in geometry of the 09 vs. 08 frame cause such a dramatic change in the toe? or could I have another problem?

My toe out was at 2" when I picked up my sled from the dealer
Hard pack darting was no fun.
I reset it to 1/2 inch

I've always set my skis as close to zero toe-out as possible. That is, I want my skis parallel but make sure any deviation from parallel is to the toe-out side rather than toe-in. What benefit do you think you get from 1/2" toe-out?

SB

When I checked mine after my first ride, it was 3\4" toe in from the dealer. Set it according to specs and made a huge difference in how it handled (of course).

Seems like the steering systems always have so much slop that worrying about 1/2" of toe out isn't worth the effort.

AKrider said:
Seems like the steering systems always have so much slop that worrying about 1/2" of toe out isn't worth the effort.

I suspect that's why the tolerance is 0" to .59". 1/2" isn't optimum, its the max allowable.

Its funny to read all the gripes on this site about darting and crappy skis and then read that guys set their toe to 1/2" on purpose. Maybe some guys like it. To me? Parallel is mo' bettah.

SB

stewartb said:
AKrider said:

I suspect that's why the tolerance is 0" to .59". 1/2" isn't optimum, its the max allowable.

Its funny to read all the gripes on this site about darting and crappy skis and then read that guys set their toe to 1/2" on purpose. Maybe some guys like it. To me? Parallel is mo' bettah.

SB

Chill out man,
Please don't make a comparison regarding me and people complaining about darting, I have no problem with darting since I changed it.
I was just stating what I was set up with from the dealer and what I set it to.
1/2" is within spec, so whats wrong with setting it to that?

I hope you didn't take my post as an insult. I just meant that because sled front ends seem to wear out very quickly (as compared to a quad) that worrying about a 1/2" isn't a big deal. Unless the sled is brand new, the steering always develops a bunch of slop. Very frustrating.

IN the past when riding my Nytro, my shoulders would burn from steering my sled. For 3000 miles I fought through this and just came to aspect this when out riding. Last week I finally decided to check my toe-heel and found out why my steering was like crap. My toe was set a 1/2 inch in. I haven't touched my skis from what the dealer set them at. I made the adjustments to 1/2 inches toe out and man what a differance. I rode this past weekend and my shoulders didn't burn once. The darting wasn't even an issue. For guys having issues with the handling make adjustments to your skis.

Back