• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro Track or Gear Change

Srxspec

Ulmer Racing
TY Advertiser
Tech Advisor
Website
www.ulmerracing.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX, 2014 Yamaha SR Viper RTX SE, 2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX SE 162 (turbo), 2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX SE 153
WEBSITE
www.ulmerracing.com
Here is a post I had put up before that was tied in with some general photos and our 136" kit. This time I will make the post only about a gear or track swap! (Tom maybe you wanna put this in the tech section?)

Time to disassemble the chaincase!

First removing the plastic panels!

Little tabs hold the plastic into place. I use a small flat blade screw driver to pop them up and remove them!

FXNytro018.jpg

FXNytro019.jpg

FXNytro020-1.jpg

Need a 10mm socket to remove these (on bottom/underside portion of panel).
FXNytro021-1.jpg

FXNytro022.jpg

Lower little tab lock under the running board.
FXNytro023.jpg

FXNytro024.jpg

FXNytro025.jpg

FXNytro026.jpg

More disassembly pics!

:Rockon:

Draining the chaincase oil (use 12mm socket).
FXNytro029a.jpg

FXNytro029.jpg

Snap Ring & Washer that must be removed for brake disc removal.
FXNytro030.jpg

Bolts to remove parking brake (use 4mm allen wrench).
FXNytro031.jpg

FXNytro032.jpg

Parking Brake removed!
FXNytro033.jpg

Bolts to remove brake assembly (use 12mm wrench).
FXNytro034.jpg

FXNytro035.jpg

Brake assembly removed!
FXNytro036-1.jpg

Brake disc removed!
FXNytro037.jpg

Now we have to remove the spacer behind the brake disc and also a torx set screw to remove the thicker spacer.
FXNytro038.jpg

Bolt holding reverse idler pulley (10mm socket).
FXNytro039.jpg

Bolt holding chain tensioner (10mm socket).
FXNytro040.jpg

Nut to unhook the reverse linkage (10mm socket).
FXNytro041.jpg

FXNytro042.jpg

Bolts to remove chaincase cover (12mm socket 5 bolts total).
FXNytro043.jpg

FXNytro044.jpg

FXNytro045.jpg

FXNytro046.jpg

FXNytro047.jpg

Also behind the collar we removed on the upper shaft is a small o-ring!
FXNytro048.jpg

Chaincase cover removed!
FXNytro049.jpg

Lower bolt holding lower gear on (14mm socket).
FXNytro050.jpg

Upper shaft showing spacer & washer against top gear.
FXNytro051.jpg

Showing lower spacer that is behind the gear.
FXNytro052.jpg

Showing upper spacer & washer that is behind the top gear.
FXNytro053.jpg

Rear suspension bolts to remove (14mm socket & wrench).
FXNytro054.jpg

FXNytro055.jpg

Suspension ready to slide out!
FXNytro056.jpg

More pictures! :drink:

Bolts to remove on secondary side so we can slide the driveshaft out! (12mm socket & 14mm socket).
FXNytro057.jpg

FXNytro058.jpg

FXNytro059.jpg

Bearing carrier/assembly to be removed in chaincase to allow the driveshaft to slide out!

FXNytro060.jpg

FXNytro061.jpg

A little prying might be needed to get the bearing out (didn't take much).
FXNytro062.jpg

Driveshaft slide out (notice I did not have to remove secondary side bearing).
FXNytro063.jpg

FXNytro064.jpg

Bulkhead shots after driveshaft has been removed!
FXNytro065.jpg

FXNytro066.jpg

Putting chaincase back together!

I will write out order in which spacers, etc go so no one gets confused (sorry didn't take a picture of this).

Top shaft: spacer, washer, gear, washer, spacer

FXNytro072.jpg

Reverse Idler shaft: washer, inside gear, outside gear, washer
***Make sure spring is in between the inside & outside gear***
FXNytro068.jpg

FXNytro069.jpg

Bottom Shaft: Spacer, gear

FXNytro071.jpg

This is for reverse models!

Shift fork inside chaincase cover must go into the slot in the reverse gear. This is kinda tricky because you can not see if it slides in, you can only "feel" it slide into correct placement. It should slide nice and easy when correct!

FXNytro073.jpg

FXNytro074.jpg

From there you can reassemble the chaincase and put the front plastic back on. If you have to put the rear skid back in you will need to unhook the torsion springs usually to get the rear mounting points to line up!

Wow, that's a great help for me, thanks! I am planning on doing a track change on my Vector. Nice pics, thanks.

Is the reverse gear assembly and linkage basically the same design despite the different sleds?

Can someone PLEASE explain what position the the shift fork should be in when assembling the reverse mechanism ? I'm only getting partial operation, seems to be pushing the case cover out when I try to operate the reverse lever, so I must be doing something wrong here... :o|

BTW, this is my first solo track swap, so take it easy on me, ok :exc:

You must have the cover tight before trying to use reverse. The lever should be in the "up" position and come down over the top of the slot in the reverse gear.

Srxspec said:
You must have the cover tight before trying to use reverse. The lever should be in the "up" position and come down over the top of the slot in the reverse gear.

So should I leave the fork in the "up" position the entire time while I reattach the case cover ? I figure I have to slide the cover on and lower the fork onto the channel in the reverse gear simultaneously, but like you said, you can't see what's happening inside there. Also, there is a spacer and another washer/spacer for the bottom gear(s), one being behind the first gear, and the other being behind the collar on the spline that fits onto the shaft, correct ? So if I have that right, should the thicker spacer sit behind the gear against the bearing (small collar facing in), or should it sit on the spline, AND, if so, in what direction should the thicker spacer face (small collar in or out) ? I apologize for all the questions and confusion on my part, (I've probably confused you now as well) but I'm missing a great day of riding and it's been a frustrating situation thus far... :o|

08NitroRTX said:
It's alrght NyTrO! As soon as you get that track on the snow It'll be well worth all the hassle!!!

OHHH YEAHHH, the ol butt dyno will be reading an extra 20 ponies I'm sure ! :jump:

PERSISTENCE overpowers once again ! I finally got it, did the same thing all over again as I did before, except it works this time ! Install brake assembly, reinstall suspension and I'm ready to rock ! ;)!

For those doing the track change themselves, IF you run into problems getting the reverse shift fork lined up in the channel on the reverse gear, try moving the upper shaft back and forth a bit as Allan stated to align the gears, this will make it easier for the fork to find it's home and allow the reverse lever to fully operate. Another thing is to hold the reverse linkage just above the position where it lines up to be reassembled on the bolt while applying the case cover, and about half way on with the cover, lower the linkage slowly and it should fall into place on the reverse gear channel along with the case cover sliding on smoothly. Just thought I'd add my 2c ;)!

08NitroRTX said:
YOU now have ventured where few have yet to have gone!

But there will many to follow! lol!

Not to mention this was the first time I changed a track pretty much on my own :-o

Back