• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FXR vs HMK vs Klim

bigreis

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Apex RTX
2009 Nytro XTX
I am in the market for new riding gear and am looking for advice from those of you who have comparison experience with 2 or more of these brands. I have previously used Klim and have nothing bad to say about their quality and performance. I am just wondering if FXR or HMK gear is in the ball park in terms is durability and dryness? I am particularly interested in hearing about the Tactic line from FXR and the Peak 2 line from HMK. Thanks!

I originally had the FXR Adrenaline. Suit is warm and started out waterproof. Waterproof aspect faded over time and I was soaked to the bone during a few rides. My but got wet many times riding when snowing. I didn't treat the suit to maintain the waterproof aspect so that might contribute to the issues I experienced.

I upgraded this year to a klim keeweenaw. The keeweenaw is significantly lighter and I can tell that goretex is a better wind barrier. The FXR is a warmer suit in that it warms you up whereas I find the keeweenaw doesn't warm you up but keeps your body heat in and will keep you warm if that makes any sense. I was nervous wearing the keeweenaw in extreme cold (-30* ) based on previous but no issues. I have since stopped carrying a back-up suit.

I also have klim adrenaline boa boots and these are absolutely amazing!

I only have about 3500km's and one season on the klim gear compared to 20k+ km on the fxr through 6+ seasons so take that into consideration.

I've had gear from all three companies. My Klim Arctic GTX boots are by far the nicest/warmest pair of boots that I have ever owned. I've worn the same pair of FXR bibs for the past 7 years and they've always kept me warm (I did notice a rip on the one knee though). Also have worn FXR jackets for the last 7 years. The hold up decently well. Only got about 3 seasons out of my FXR gloves though, they ripped straight across the hand. I replaced them with a set of cheap, then HMK gloves. They keep me warm most days.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Klim has a lifetime warranty on all their gear. If so I would definitely recommend getting some Klim boots and gloves. IMHO, save a couple hundred and stick with FXR/HMK jackets and bibs, they're cheaper and I've never had a problem with mine.

I've had gear from all three companies. My Klim Arctic GTX boots are by far the nicest/warmest pair of boots that I have ever owned. I've worn the same pair of FXR bibs for the past 7 years and they've always kept me warm (I did notice a rip on the one knee though). Also have worn FXR jackets for the last 7 years. The hold up decently well. Only got about 3 seasons out of my FXR gloves though, they ripped straight across the hand. I replaced them with a set of cheap, then HMK gloves. They keep me warm most days.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Klim has a lifetime warranty on all their gear. If so I would definitely recommend getting some Klim boots and gloves. IMHO, save a couple hundred and stick with FXR/HMK jackets and bibs, they're cheaper and I've never had a problem with mine.

Do you feel that the FXR gear has good performance in the dryness category? I was out for an 8 hour ride a couple of weeks ago in steady light rain and heavy wet snow. I was wearing my buddies Klim jacket and that was the only part of my body that was dry after the ride. Can I expect similar performance from FXR or HMK?

I bought new Klim gear three years ago and sold it after two rides. Not enough vents and what there were, they were not located in the right spots. To get a Klim jacket with enough vents you had to spend $400 plus. I replaced my Klim gear with CastleX. IMO, the best riding gear for the money. Well made, lots of vents, fits great for less than half the price of Klim gear. G.B.

I have the FXR / Yamaha Mission Lite jacket, and the Mountain Pant. These have kept me dry, seem pretty durable and were significantly less expensive than Klim as I found them on sale from Port Yamaha. I realize this is not the FXR line you are asking about but figured I'd give some input on what I have.

The Mission Lite jacket is non-insulated but is plenty large enough where you can layer up if the temp is real cold. One thing I like about this jacket is virtually no one has one. I like having a jacket / helmet that is not supper popular, gives a unique look.

here is the bibs.
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/mens-mountain-pant-by-fxr?b=Snowmobile+Riding+Gear&d=6|6

here is the Mission Lite Jacket.
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/...-jacket-by-fxr?b=Snowmobile+Riding+Gear&d=6|6

Thats true. We are talking about brands in general but most of them have high quality and lower.

To me its a no brainer. You get what you pay for and last so much longer. Winter is short so cold or rain I am out ridding. My expensive Klim keeps me warm and dry. Once my buddy was freezing ridding a rail bed for hours at high speeds -25C. We switched coats for the last leg of the ride to our hotel. Wow I didn't no how good I had it until then. I could feel the wind coming in from everywhere on the coat. I don't have much of a windshield so the only thing keeping me warm was my Klim bib pants. lol

Back