• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

gas gauge acting weird--help!!

dexter

TY 4 Stroke Master
so on two occasions my 2010 vector has had the gas light come on with 2 bars left. The "F-000" counter appears and starts to calculate. This seems normal to me.

After a few miles the light goes out and then a few miles again it comes on with the "F-000" starting over at zeros.

The first time this happened I got confused and ended up running her dry. This last time I fueled her up right away and it took 2 gallons of fuel.

what the heck? is this normal? what am I missing??

as you ride the sled is not always level and can cause the fuel light to come on prematurely if the sled takes a gas reading at the time it shows low it will trip the light and next time it takes a read it may not show low and light will turn off this is common when you are riding either rough terrain or up and dow hill. but once it gets low enough it should stay on full time. for the light to come on and only need 2 gallons of fuel is not normal nor should you be able to run her dry with out the gas light and count up in guage being on steady for 20-30 miles. from what you are saying i supect you have a sending unit issue.

I agree, but my post was worded wrong.

I had 2 gallons in the tank still. In other words it took about 8 gals

that is about correct then 2 X 15 mpg is 30 miles so that is about when you want to know.

yes I agree, but the whole thing with the "f" resetting screws me up. Each time it came on it started over so it was useless. Does that make sense? It's useless when that happens.

so it keeps reseting over and over again untill you are out of fuel and you have a count of someting like F-012 or less when you run out of fuel? if that is the case sorry to hear that i like the counter function but i dont rely on it as mine has reset a few times before as well if i see fuel light come on i start lookig for fuel too much space between gas stops in some areas around here to try and see how far i can go did that once in southern wi and had to get towed to the gas station.

yes, it keeps resetting each time it senses more fuel from a bump or steepness. I don't like to run it that low, but when it does I just don't trust it.

I had a fuel issue, however i never threw a code, just the light premature. if you take off the nose and the black plastic on the right side there is a green plug with 2 wires, mine had some corrosion in there. cleaned it with pick and electrical cleaner in a spray can then bent the prongs a little and put it back together with dielectric, no issues since. Not same issue but may be worth a shot.

so you are talking about wires/hose attached to the gas tank under the shroud? I will check for the heck of it.

no not under the center piece where the pump is, this is where the sender actually is. when sitting on the sled it is about where your right knee would touch the tank. i had to take off my black cover piece on that side with the main side panel off.

Back