• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grooves in my weights.

When using the older Japan model clutches on the Sidewinder, the weights need to be heavier. I installed a 2012 Vector clutch on my 2017 Sidewinder and had to add 4.5 grams to each weight. If you are trying to install a Sidewinder clutch on your VK, you'll have to do the opposite and make the weights lighter. The reason for this is the position of the roller in relation to the weight, if I remember right. For more/better information about this, contact Thunder Products Clutching.

Oh I see. ( totally nube question here. Know nothing about these things) so if I run the Winder clutch in my VK as is, what will happen? What would be the difference with the heavier weights? And, is the Winder clutch weaker in its construction then the VK clutch? Why do people change them?

The reason for this is the position of the roller in relation to the weight, if I remember right
I think it is the position of the weight/roller to the center line.
The Sidewinder clutch places the weights/rollers farther away from the center line, letting lighter weights apply the same force as a heavier weight that is closer to the center line.
That is why you need a heavier weight in the old clutch vs the weight in the Winder clutch-----in most(?) cases..

And, is the Winder clutch weaker in its construction then the VK clutch? Why do people change them?
People have been changing back to the Apex/Rx-1 clutch to gain durability. There have been many instances where a Sidewinder that has been wearing rollers has been cured by going to the older Apex clutch.
It has been thought that the construction of the Sidewinder clutch allows for more flex, maybe due to Yamaha farming out that clutch to China for construction.
I took my brand new clutch off my 22 GT and installed a rebuilt Rx-1 clutch. I had the clutch in stock, otherwise I probaly would have tried the stock one first.

Oh I see. ( totally nube question here. Know nothing about these things) so if I run the Winder clutch in my VK as is, what will happen? What would be the difference with the heavier weights? And, is the Winder clutch weaker in its construction then the VK clutch? Why do people change them?
If you put the Sidewinder clutch on with your VK spring & stock VK weights, you will likely under-rev because your weights are too heavy.

You are likely much better off buying the correct clutch.
This one looks nice.

Ok, great info. Thank you all very much. I guess I’ll put this Wider clutch on and see how it does. I’m in tight trails on my property and will only pull the occasional tire to make walking trails. And maybe a small blast up and down my fields. Nothing too crazy that’s for sure. I just hope it works good at slow speeds. I hope it will engage right off idle.

Hey all, what’s the torque value on the primary bolt for the VK? Is it 80 pounds then back it off and put to 40 pounds? Thanx.

85 ft/lb initally and 43 ft/lb as final torque.

Back