• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gyroeffect on 4strokes?

yamahamm

Lifetime Member
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2008 yamaha nytro mtx mcx 270
Hi.
Anyone have an ide on how too reduce the gyro effect from the engine?
Is there any parts that can be changed or modified too reduce the effect?
Any ideas?

Do you mean engine braking or the gyro effect like when your is the air and cracking the throttle to make the front end come up? Same as hitting the brake for the reverse?

I mean the effect in the engine that works against you when you want the sled to turn left or right when boon docking or climbing steep hills.

Lightened crank, clutch, brake disc, drive shafts, track, everything what rotates with engine. I can feel when rotating mass is against me, but it is only when rpms are very high. I cant feel it an issue, it just calms sled behaviour in high speeds.

First of all, change your front end with at least 3" forward. Then you can control your sled and change directions and have same kind of feeling like rmk/m sleds.

Second, lowering the mass center of your sled, like removing upper radiator and lighter battery, "smaller" fuel tank or something that is not so high than stock.

The front end is really an issue of this sled when boondocking. Turboed sleds have easily 30-50% more track speed when hitting wide open, so it really has more rotating mass in same situation than "normal" sleds and always when track speeds are high, but I can't see that an issue, it is more like positive issue. When climbing with nytro, skis don't usually touch the ground so then there is only rotating masses and you. Adjusting handlebars might help a little, maybe different riser or just shape of handlebars is answer, but it still wont get anywhere from unpredictable front of nytro. I mean, even with turbos, sometimes skis have to come down..

If you still feel that rotating mass is an issue, get/make nypex, then there is two rotating mass against each other and sled will be something else to drive. I would like to test one sometime..

Yea i have a lighter battery(11 lbs lighter then stock) cut off the cooling fins on the brake disc and i have removed the sway bar. next on the list is a new front end.
But i just want ideas on how to make the sled even better:) because i love the nytro as is but i always want it to be better;) And yea i have a MCX 270hp kit on it too:cool:

If you can feel a difference with a lighter battery and the cooling fins removed from your rotor you are more in tune with your sled than I am!
Sway bar removed I can understand!

The gyro effect was even worse on the wider, higher revving 4 cylinders. Changing the front end will make it handle like a different sled.

If you can feel a difference with a lighter battery and the cooling fins removed from your rotor you are more in tune with your sled than I am!
Sway bar removed I can understand!
i didn't say that i can feel the difference with just those mods. I just told what i have done to the sled. I'am in the progress of making the nytro a better ride and just need ideas on what to do.

The gyro effect was even worse on the wider, higher revving 4 cylinders. Changing the front end will make it handle like a different sled.
I know that, but it won't change the handling when the skis are off the ground, thats when i feel the engine working against me when i want to make it turn around.

Back