• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hand warmer button not working

2stroken

Expert
Noticed tonight on the 08 RTX, that when pushing the button for the hand warmer the display does not indicate that you are pushing the button. Suggestions before I tear into it? Thumb warmer display works fine, but when trying to cycle the hand warmers don't get any response on the display.

no codes? might need to check connections for corrosion 1st before you take apart the button to check/clean its contacts.

I would assume a bad switch. Mine on the GT was temperamental and taking it apart I saw green shmoo in it. Contact cleaner took care of that. It's small parts in there so be prepared to work with them.

I would assume a bad switch. Mine on the GT was temperamental and taking it apart I saw green shmoo in it. Contact cleaner took care of that. It's small parts in there so be prepared to work with them.
Thanks, I was leaning towards that, just was curious how common it was, or if others had experienced the same.

Mine is experiencing that on occasion, fine for a cleaning. I believe there's only two wires coming out of this switch assembly. Pressing up or down sends a different resistance value to the ECU to signal which button you're selecting.

based on others, it should have screws to remove lower 1/2 and then there should be screws or clips inside to drop where the contacts are. probably will be a rubber boot covering them or the remains of one that you will need to remove.

I recently had my heater switch start acting up. The up position didn't want to respond well so I took it all apart. I was wrong in my previous post, these actually have three wires going to them. One common wire and two switch contact wires. There's a few screws to remove and then I had to pry out the switch through the top. Then I pulled back the rubber seal and pushed out the brass pin. Some 600 grit sandpaper polished all the contacts nicely. All back together and it works perfect again.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I recently had my heater switch start acting up. The up position didn't want to respond well so I took it all apart. I was wrong in my previous post, these actually have three wires going to them. One common wire and two switch contact wires. There's a few screws to remove and then I had to pry out the switch through the top. Then I pulled back the rubber seal and pushed out the brass pin. Some 600 grit sandpaper polished all the contacts nicely. All back together and it works perfect again.
So the switch just pries out the top?

You have to remove the entire assembly from the handlebars first. Then there's a few screws on the side that have to come out to remove a black cover. Then snip a zip tie and remove one more screw. There's a small steel plate that'll come loose after that last screw is removed. I used a pair of flat screwdrivers under the blue rocker switch to pop it up and out. It doesn't look like it'll come out that way but it does. It's a little finicky shoving it back in but not too bad. Make sure you also polish the three contact pads inside the switch too. I wrapped a little 600 paper around a tiny flat screwdriver to reach in there.

After looking at the assembly again I noticed that you wouldn't have to remove it from the bars to get the switch out. I removed mine thinking the switch came out the back side (it doesn't) and also to bring it in where it was warm. It's basically a zip tie and four screws that come off the right side, then pop out the switch.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 171

Back