• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heavy Steering on Deceleration

StormBringers

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha RS Venture
I experience heavy steering and sometimes back-and-forth steering when decelerating with my 2012 RS Venture (RST90). Reading the forums, manuals, and google search suggests adjusting the control rods or the limiter straps. Which one should I start with and at what intervals? The limiter straps are at the first one or the last one - not sure how to count them. How many turns or partial turns on the control rod nuts? The manual indicates not adjusting past the red paint, but I don't see any red paint.

Attachments

• Limiter Strap Left Side.PNG
    Limiter Strap Left Side.PNG
    843.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Limiter Strap Right Side.PNG
    Limiter Strap Right Side.PNG
    649.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Control Rods.PNG
    Control Rods.PNG
    755.9 KB · Views: 50

if you are solo riding, try the rear torsion springs on soft. in your picture above, they are set on medium.

do not adjust the control rods or limiters until you have done that and ridden it that way. i have another adjustment to try but want to see if this helps 1st.

I made the change recommended by maim. The deceleration handling has improved and going over bumps is softer but now I have other handling issues (as to be expected). There is now some darting during acceleration and cruising. During low-speed turns, there is ski lift and in some cases it's tippy.

Here are some pictures of the 2up Adjusting Block (set in solo rider position), Center Shock Absorber, and Front Shock.

Attachments

• 2up adjusting block.PNG
    2up adjusting block.PNG
    800.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Center Shock Absorber.PNG
    Center Shock Absorber.PNG
    724.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Front Shock.PNG
    Front Shock.PNG
    581.6 KB · Views: 47
ok. i am going to give you the set up we used on my brothers 2013 venture witch fixed everything but the tippy ness in some conditions.

rear springs set how you have them now.

front skid shock, with rear of sled suspended, back the spring off until it is stiff to turn the spring on the shock by hand. lock the jam nut there.

set the front ski shocks so that the a arms are almost parallel to the ground with the sled on the ground.

check that your toe is set to 1/8" toed out after all these settings and you still have decent wear bar/carbide left.

check that when the front is in the air that the ski tips stay up witch helps with darting. that should have the newer ski and usually does not need it but adding up to a 1/4" shim between ski and rubber helps do that when it isn't doing it naturally.

brothers was still tippy but some of that is the nature of the venture. his was acually worse with agressive skis (apex mtx skis) vs the curve xs skis he prefered to run.

Maim - I didn't quite understand this statement once I go under the rear-lifted sled:

"...back the spring off until it is stiff to turn the spring on the shock by hand."

Do I back the spring off until the spring feels very loose and then hand tighten the spring until I feel some pressure? I can turn the spring by hand with just about any setting.

the front skid shock spring i loosen the spring tension until it is difficult to turn with one hand with the rear of the sled in the air. you basicly want the nuts to hold minimum 2-3 turns of tension on the spring.

Main - Your suggestions worked great! I rode about 125 miles this past weekend and this sled handled nicely. Well, as nice as it going to get riding a 2up touring sled on twisting forest trails. I was able to keep up with the pack and I felt in control. --- Thank you.

no problem. glad it worked well for you.

sounds like your riding is pretty much like what we have around here. i admit to being a maniac on the trail and my brother was able to hang with me with his set this way in similar trails.

yongest brother, i have trouble hanging with him as he is psycho. one of the only guys i have heard of to wheelie a stock rs venture on flat ground at a demo ride as the rep told him to ride it like he owned it.

Back