• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

helmet communicators choices

bigdog_mike

Lifetime Member
Ready to make the purchase of helmet communicators for my modular helmets, let me say that i once used the Collett communicators back in the early 2000 as they were the best at that time, but with all the upgrades and many models that are now available on the market with all the bells and whistles the choices are much harder to make the plunge. The field of units out there I have narrowed down to are the Sena SMH10, Scala Rider G9, Interphone F5, and Chatterbox. I like the blue tooth connections to my phone for the times that signals get blocked by the terrain or the distance between users is greater than the units can handle. Also the battery life and ease of use and pairing units is important, and with a modular helmet the placement of mounting of the unit and mic boom is very important too as most modular helmets also include a sunshade switch that maybe covered by the communicator units. So my question to TY users is which model do you use and are they living up to what you expected? With them costing $250 for Sena SMH10, $500 for Scala G9, $450 for Interphone F5 and $300 for the Chatterbox, as i need to purchase 2 units which the prices listed are for 2 units, I was hoping for some feedback from TY members

We tested the UClear products at Haydays, and were very impressed. Their boomless microphone would work well in a modular helmet. We tested them in helmets, in a noisy environment and they worked well.

We tested the UClear products at Haydays, and were very impressed. Their boomless microphone would work well in a modular helmet. We tested them in helmets, in a noisy environment and they worked well.
x2

Here was our findings on the new chatterbox system.

Our group switched to the chatterbox x1slim. It is a Bluetooth (BT) as well as GRMS (walkie-talkie) system.

The main pros,

Unlimited number of users (that was always an issue with the pure BT systems)
2-5 Mile range (The BT can't come close) between each unit/units. Hopping between them you can actually get a message to a guy 20 miles ahead.
BT for phone, music, GPS etc.
Cheap passenger "intercom" headset
Over 8 hours runtime (actual usage)
Very loud speakers (the loudest of any system we have used/tested)
Music first with a graceful switch to communication/phone etc.
Not full duplex (you can't hear your buddy breathing hard, whistling/humming/singing along to his tunes - swearing at his non TY sled - bit****g that he can't keep up, etc).

The main cons,

Not full duplex you need to use a "Push to talk" button (on unit, or on handlebars) or VOX (voice activation) to talk to the other riders in the group.
1 Person at a time transmitting (when multiples are talking, your unit will synch to the strongest signal).
Cost (at 225.00 they are not cheap)
Size, they are bigger than the pure BT units

like I posted in a recent post on another fourm we have Chatterbox X1's and they are great. Dropped it in water and when dried out it has worked well since still. Works with GMRS as well. I just bought 3 extra used ones on ebay cheap.

I've been using the Sena SMH10 for the past few years with no complaints. During the summer months I use the same base module in a Bell Mag-9 motorcycle/ATV helmet which is Sena ready.

Decided on the Chatterbox X1 Slim then looked for the best deal and found a used one on ebay then another one a couple days later on ebay for $275 for both as new models were $220 each plus shipping so the used ones were the best route for me

Question please - is it "easy" or OK to move the Chatterbox X1 Slim from one helmet to another? I would like to purchase two units, one for my helmet (which will stay there) and one that can be moved around from helmet to helmet.

I am in a similar circumstance with mine and you need to purchase the speaker and mic setup for the extra helmet the just move the unit mount to the other helmet and plug it in and you will be good to go as the unit usually comes with an extra mic so you only need the extra speakers to do the switch

We have been thinking of these for a few years. I just cannot imagine anything like these to hold up to the cold conditions we experienced the last 2 seasons in Quebec where most of the time it was -25˚C or lower and most other electronics did not fare well. We have been using FRS with helmet head sets and PTTs with decent success when working. The rig I have used for years is a Moto-Comm with the AUX-1 adapter which allows for plugging in my iPod now iPhone with the radio and PTT on the bars. You cannot buy that rig anymore or the AUX-1 and I keep making it last by soldering it when the cold gets to the wires. One of my riding buddies got a RuggedRadio.com rig that was expensive but is Mil-Spec and we are probably staying with that and getting more powerful UHF/VHF radios. I often lead groups of 8 or more on my trips and having commo is a huge advantage.

I have used the x1slim all day at -10f (-23c) a few times without issue, not sure below that.

The spec on them is 12F (-11c) sitting doing nothing. Running/streaming BT and transmitting/receiving will keep the unit warmer increasing the cold range.

They really don't have much in the way of extreme cold testing/information.

I have used the x1slim all day at -10f (-23c) a few times without issue, not sure below that.

The spec on them is 12F (-11c) sitting doing nothing. Running/streaming BT and transmitting/receiving will keep the unit warmer increasing the cold range.

They really don't have much in the way of extreme cold testing/information.

I only have good hearing in my right ear. What will be affected if I buy the CBox Slims? Meaning....what will I not be able to hear?

You hear everything. One of the guys we ride with is deaf in his left ear and only has 1/2 hearing in his right The X1Slim is the first system we have used that he can hear with.

Back