• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets, Open, vs Full Face, vs Modular.

Jay Jager

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Vector GT
Just getting back into sledding.
Going to purchase a new helmet.
Not sure if I should get an open face with goggles? Full Face? Or modular?
Are the Motocross type with Goggles cold?
I will ride mostly groomed trails.

I switched just last year. My motocross helmet is a fox v3. I bought goggles from royal distributing. Brand is Dragon. They are for sledding and have the nose piece. Not sure the model.

Pros:
-no darn cord anymore!
-zero fogging issues. (I always had fogging)
-the terrible apex drone around 6500rpm is gone! So much more enjoyable now.
Con's:
-I still get cold on my forehead between the goggles and helmet. I solved this using a strip of clear hockey tape right on the goggles that will overlap the helmet every time.

I wear an Unwind balaclava which is supposed to be the best but there is no wind resistant material at the top where I need it.

Overall, I would recommend this setup for most conditions. If it is below-20 Celsius than I do have to tuck in behind the windshield. However I still have my old helmet. I will not go back unless I have to. Just have an open mind that you may have to find the right combination the works for you.

I switched from a full face to an open face with goggles a few years ago. I have a 509 helmet and matching goggles. I find all the benefits listed above but have not had much issue with cold, even on my nytro with basically no wind protection. My helmet and goggles pair together nicely and seal up blocking all wind. I also find that my neck and shoulder area not as sore after a day of riding which I believe is from having a lighter helmet now.

I know a lot of guys really like the modular helmets though...

Does anyone know of a balaclava that has wind resistant material on the forehead? Mine is just fleece.

Klim arctic balaclava, windstopper material, buy one and never look back

for on trail riding the best thing out there in my opinion (and many more on this site) is by far the best you can get. go to a snow show and it will run alittle ove 300 and you can put a balacalava under it for the neck on cold days. no fogging sun shield built in no cold air leaks no need to buy 3-4 componets to make it work.

I have the BVS2 and do like it no fogging issues no cord nice for those bitter cold days.... however I did pick up and open face model last year it is a BRP and grabbed 509 sinister x2 with an unwind balaclava and love it.... haven't wore the other one since I got this combo..... I ride mostly groomed but go off trail whenever we can and usually do 200 plus miles a day so the lighter helmet is very nice.... but like others have said it will be a matter of finding what works for you...

I like my motocross helmet on warm days and my HJC with heated shield on cold days. The only issue I've come into is that I just started riding a couple of years ago after taking about 10 years is that now I wear glasses and I can't stop them from fogging up. I've tried both helmets with and without the breath deflectors. Luckily I can ride without them, but I can see better with them and it would be nice to have them on. A lot of people ride with glasses so there must be a trick to it. LOL

agreed and the off trail part is where the open face is real nice. but I have seen many spend lots of money tring to find that right combo that works so get all the info you can and try on as many combos as possible preferrably in front of a fan to see what will work before you buy and even then there is no guarentee it will work for you on the trail. nice thing about the BV2s is it just works you get your size bucket and the mask will adjust to your face.

I like my motocross helmet on warm days and my HJC with heated shield on cold days. The only issue I've come into is that I just started riding a couple of years ago after taking about 10 years is that now I wear glasses and I can't stop them from fogging up. I've tried both helmets with and without the breath deflectors. Luckily I can ride without them, but I can see better with them and it would be nice to have them on. A lot of people ride with glasses so there must be a trick to it. LOL
BV2s works for this too.

modular 2 from BRP is a good and warm helmet but a bit heavy. And almost no fog even i sweat like hell in my face.

i use a hjc modular typically. usually run with the mod part open when off trail. started using a ckx with a visor on it for the really bright days but is a pita to put on with glasses. . both sheilds are heated.

Back