• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets, Open, vs Full Face, vs Modular.

yep had bv2s for 14 years,never looked back

Open face has way better vis (imo). I love matching the day with the right pair of goggles. Cant do that easily with a full face.
Klim's Arctic Belaclava was a game changer though. Super warm, no more soaking wet material against your face.
MS

Open face has way better vis (imo). I love matching the day with the right pair of goggles. Cant do that easily with a full face.
Klim's Arctic Belaclava was a game changer though. Super warm, no more soaking wet material against your face.
MS

There's been a few mention that Klim belaclava, I'll have to check them out.

again the bv2s shines here too no loss in range of vision at all I bet it has beter range of sight then any mx style with goggles and the built in hd sun visor is perfect in almost any light

Well I found a helmet that I'm going to try this winter. I love MX helmets, but sometimes their too cold. This hopefully will be the best of both worlds. Its a MX helmet with an electric shield. Then I bought a Klim balaclava so that my glasses hopefully wont fog up. Its a FXR Torque X helmet and it seems to be really light and comfortable. I can't wait for snow to try it out.

FXR Helmet.png

The best anti fog stuff out there is a product called "fog tech" by a company called REI. End of discussion. I like the liquid over the wipes.

Well I bought a FRX Torque helmet with an e shield. I love it, its a MX helmet with an e shield and its light and comfortable. I also got a Klim balaclava to go with it. When I tried out my sled out in the back field yesterday I found out that my glasses still fog up on me. So I'm taking your advice and I ordered some Fog Tech this morning. I was hoping the balaclava would be enough to stop the fogging without having to get an anti fog treatment. If this stuff works it'll be worth every penny. Like a said I can ride without my glasses, but I can just see better with them. Hopefully this stuff works or my only other option may be the treated glasses or a BVS helmet. Thanx for the help guys.

I don't know if it is a northeast thing with the temperature swings, the heavy woods or what but the two guys that use the open face with goggles in our group are always holding us up. Constant icing is the biggest issue. Not so bad on the really cold days but on the cool days they have all kinds of problems with ice on the goggles.

I bought a bv2s a few years ago and it turns out I am a bit claustrophobic and just always felt closed in with it. I ended up going to a modular with the e-shield and giving a buddy the 2s.

Where you ride, how you ride, the environmentals etc. I don't think there is any right answer. Hopefully you have enough budget to find the perfect solution and don't end up wasting a bunch of cash figuring it out.

I don't know if it is a northeast thing with the temperature swings, the heavy woods or what but the two guys that use the open face with goggles in our group are always holding us up. Constant icing is the biggest issue. Not so bad on the really cold days but on the cool days they have all kinds of problems with ice on the goggles.

I bought a bv2s a few years ago and it turns out I am a bit claustrophobic and just always felt closed in with it. I ended up going to a modular with the e-shield and giving a buddy the 2s.

Where you ride, how you ride, the environmentals etc. I don't think there is any right answer. Hopefully you have enough budget to find the perfect solution and don't end up wasting a bunch of cash figuring it out.

Yeah I'm new to wearing glasses and riding. I used to wear goggles all the time with no problem, but the glasses are way different. I see many other people wearing glasses without issues. Maybe I get too warm in my helmet and its fogging up my glasses from body heat. I tried having the vents open to. If I have the shield open my glasses will stay clear, but its kinda cold though. LOL. Hopefully the Fog Tech works. Its not very much money and its an easy solution. I really don't plan on getting a new helmet. I just got this one after replacing my old wore out HJC and I really like this new helmet. We may loose our snow this week so I don't know when I'll be able to try the Fog Tech out. It'd be nice to have this figured out before the season starts. I was thinking the same thing about the BVS helmet that it looks claustrophobic. Maybe I can get contacts if nothing else works.

If you wear glasses the best thing you can do is remove the breath deflector. It works and costs you nothing to try!

I think an open face helmet with goggles is quieter and warmer than a full face. I have rode in zero temps with my open face and gave been comfortable. G.B.

If you wear glasses the best thing you can do is remove the breath deflector. It works and costs you nothing to try!

I did try that too trying to get more airflow to my glasses. I've tried leaving the faceshield cracked open a hair as well.

I think an open face helmet with goggles is quieter and warmer than a full face. I have rode in zero temps with my open face and gave been comfortable. G.B.

I've always had full face helmets for all my toys, I don't know if I could change it up. I may have to consider it though.

I have found that the MX helmet a goggles take a little trail and error setup. I have made my own no fog system along with the Unwind balaclava. I use either 509 X5 or Smith goggles in My HJC helmet. Always warm and never fog up.
I could see people icy up if they are deep in the pack with a lot of snow dust in the air. The key to the goggles is enough airflow thru them and the control of the exhaled air.

...I could see people icy up if they are deep in the pack with a lot of snow dust in the air...

Well if they could just catch up and pass they would see what the clean air is like - Bahahahahaha

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I do think you are spot on though. Aside from the freezing rail, running in clean air would probably fix most of their issues.

I really feel your pain Superfan. I have constant issues and cannot ride without glasses. Last year I bought the Gmax helmet just like the FXR you posted. Through all my frustrations, this is my $.02. Blaclavalas hold lots of heat in - although I still wear one I use a cheap thin one. Removing my chin flap helped a lot. Not only opening the front ports but also the top to rid heat coming off of forehead. A good modular worked for me. Keep us updated on what you find, its a constant battle.

Back