• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP!!! Rusted ski bolt.

BIG BLACK WARRIOR

VIP Member
I have a 2011 Apex that I bought new, and put Curve skis on when it was new. I have never had the skis off since I put them on. I just went to take the Curve skis off, and can't get the ski bolt out. The nut came right off, and I can turn the bolt, but can't get it out. I have put the nut back on, and hammered the snot out of it, but the bolt wouldn't come out, but as stated before it does turn. If I heat the bolt up, I am afraid if I get it hot enough to to loosen the the bolt from the rusted sleeve, it may start to melt the ski. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

does the ski slide over enough for you to get a hacksaw in there to cut the bolt? I had to do that 2 seasons ago on my et as the oe skis had never been off in 13 years.

Rust off ice its pb blaster on steriods I have used that stuff on exausht manifold bolts that would not budge no heat spray em let em sit for 24 hours and bang they back out it eats the corresion between the steal and aluminium

You need to lift the front of the sled so the skis are a few inches off the ground. Then put a 2x4 under the ski at the mount and use the lumber as a pry bar to lift the ski up towards the spindle. This will take the pressure off the bolt and it will slide out easy peasy.
If you look up the install directions you will see what I'm talking about.

Jong22250, I see you live in the Syracuse ares, not too far from me. Where did you buy "rust off ice" in the CNY area?
Rooster, I have tried that, but the Bolt is seized with rust inside that sleeve. So the bolt and the sleeve must both be turning together.
Maim, I will check tomorrow, but I don't think there is room to get a hack saw in there.
Thanks for the replies.

You stated that it does turn. Does that mean that it will turn a little with a lot of force, or does it turn freely? Put an impact gun on it and spin the crap out of it! Once it's spinning free pry the ski up and hammer time.

On my old Zr580 I had the same issue. It that case it was a sleeve that was like a bushing inside the ski. It rusted onto the bolt and then the bolt was too big to push through the hole. I actually started to bend a 20ton press trying to get it out. :( In the end I ended up replacing the ski and the spindle that it was attached to.

try using a air chisel.

You may have to sell the curves with the sled ... unless the Rust Off Ice does the trick. Sounds like the spindle bushing is rusted to the ski bolt. I can tell you from experience that sometimes it takes so much force to break the bolt loose that you're likely to damage the ski trying to remove it. I've had to remove spindles from sleds with skis still attached and tried pressing the bolts out, but sometimes they just won't budge. This is good reason to grease the ski bolt once a year. Adding a zerk fitting to the spindle only greases the outside of the spindle bushing, so pulling the bolts at the end of the season and coat them with a little grease is good preventive maintenance. Good luck ... and do let us know if the Rust Off Ice works!

You could try reinstalling the nut, grind the head of the bolt off then tighten the nut while holding the end of the bolt with vise grips. If you're lucky it might suck the bolt out enough to brake it loose from the bushing/spacers. I probably would tack weld another nut to the end of the threaded end instead of using vise grips if a welder is available. A little antiseize on the bolts will prevent it from happening again.

On my Nytro I had to take the spindle off with the ski, grind the bolt head off and then use a 20 ton press to push the bolt out. It worked and I didn't bend or wreck the spindle. I then used a 13mm socket and the press to drive the old bushing out. The socket was a perfect fit for the hole the bushing are pressed into.
Might have to do something like this with your Apex. when you get it all back together see if there might be an opportunity to drill and tap a hole that you can put a grease zerk into and pump fresh grease into the spindle/bushings to keep this from happening again. Polaris does this as a factory application.

Jong22250, I see you live in the Syracuse ares, not too far from me. Where did you buy "rust off ice" in the CNY area?
Rooster, I have tried that, but the Bolt is seized with rust inside that sleeve. So the bolt and the sleeve must both be turning together.
Maim, I will check tomorrow, but I don't think there is room to get a hack saw in there.
Thanks for the replies.
I get from my work but Its aviable on amazon I do belive or direct from wurth website if u wanna meet I could hand u a can if ur near syracuse some timeor i might be near u i travel for work iam all over cny all week shoot me pm if wanna get a can

A machinist friend of mine put me onto 50/50 acetone automatic transmission fluid. Mix it up in a spray bottle and warm it to her. After several good soakings I've removed seized wheels off snowblowers. Worth a try.

give seafoam deep creep a try works really good.can be found at Walmart.

Back