• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID Bulbs

Between the sleds, quads and everything else we can put them in, we have easily installed over 25 kits.

In the last 5 years we have had a few ballast failures but never a bulb failure.

The expensive sets (yamaha and sylvania) have failed more than the cheap sets from DDM so we go with them on all of the sets now. 4 sets for the price of one.

Nice. Sounds like you have had a lot of experience and got a question. If I had ddm 35 watt 4300k set up and all I did was switch ballasts to 55 watt what differences come to mind in your opinion in final results as far as differences? Also I have not had a ballast fail either and I have 9 ddm kits. However I have had wires and plugs fail and just one bulb the other day. They always swap all out for free. The lead at end of bulb broke and wouldn't complete circuit so wouldn't allow the bulb to fire up. Only one I have ever seen. Thanks for any input.

I am not a lighting engineer nor do I play one on TV, however this is how I understand it.

55w will be brighter, the color may appear lighter/cooler as well but it is an illusion of the brightness. Notice you can purchase the 4300 or any of the other colors in 35 or 55W

It is the gas mixture in the bulb (primarily xenon) and voltage that has the largest effect on the color of the light. You will notice on the kits that the bulb is marked with the color/temp and not the ballast.

That is what I thought and is nice for a confirmation. That answers all my questions and makes total sense now as I kind of figured it would but was a little confused but this cleared all up. I run yellow goggle Lenz so doubt I could tell color difference by just switching to higher power ballasts? If I think I can tell difference it would be a debatable illusion correct? Thanks for clearing that up. Was just as I figured.

I just ordered up a set of 35 watt 4300K ddm HID's. It is just as much plug and play as the others and the couple hundred bucks in my pocket is studding my nytro instead!
When you ordered the kit what additional parts did you buy? Hi/low, brackets , etc. what part of the ddm kit requires hard wiring besides hot and ground? I'm guessing that Rock has a factory style connection.

Not talking more or less. Talking diff colors and shade of goggle lens like we do anyways. Blue, yellow, amber etc. Simple really.
Yeah, and color = tint. Simple really. Clear is = 0% tint and different colors generates more tint. Even clear (0%) make the light darker for your eye. So the best is to go slow without any goggles on =)

Even if yellow is a tint it makes things brighter then clear for me. Just sayin. Lol

Some colors do amplify the light I feel and think?

When you ordered the kit what additional parts did you buy? Hi/low, brackets , etc. what part of the ddm kit requires hard wiring besides hot and ground? I'm guessing that Rock has a factory style connection.

$20 for the hi/low h4 bulbs, $2.99 for the 35 watt blast mounts, and you can plug the harness right into the headlight harness, for extra safety $20 sled start patch cables can be bought, but this is just a fused line that prevents any back serge from the ballasts back through your sleds the wiring harness. I have friends without this and they have zero issues. I will likely go this way as well

Back