• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID lights Big time improvement

The new shield doesn't have a nose cone and the lower portion is shaped differently form the previous version. I'm assuming this may be an improvement so I'd try them and if you think the differential is still to big modify the window opening. let us know what you find out.

I just got a set this year and it does seem like they have corrected the difference between high and low beam. They are awesome!

I didn't see much difference at all. When on low and switched to high on the trail is just seemed to move the light up a bit and a little wider . I was expecting to see a big shift almost like a gap in the lighted area if done fast enough. Next time out I will take pictures of low and high. Right now I think I might adjust the low beam to be a little higher.

Going to do it on the trail if it is not to cold out. I can only get at best 12 in front of my sled to the garage door and I don't think that will be far enough away to make proper adjustments.

With those kits, I would highly recommend replacing the fuse holder with a good water resistance housing. The stock one in these kits are garage.

Now I have possessed lights on the wife's sled. Yesterday we were out riding in cloudy snowy conditions. Then we hit the freezing rain again. Things were going slow and we made it to a warm up shelter wait out the freezing rain. Get into the shelter and look out only to see the wife's sled turn on the lights by it self. Started the sled , ran it for a few minutes and shut it off , lights stayed off for a minute and on again.

It was strange, I pulled the headlight connector for the hi/low switch and the lights went out but the tail light stayed on. Went into the fuse box by the reverse lever ( what a PITA to open) and pulled the fuse there. Lights went out and tail light stayed on. Checked all the other fuses and they were good. Could this be the headlight relay or the load control relay stuck. There was a bit of snow in around the relays but not very much. Just what ever blew in there.

Disconnected the battery last night after we got home. Checked the sled this morning and just connected the battery bolt and the + lead to the sled. No power lead for the HID lights. Tail lights came on. Sleds were in a heated shop.

So I am thinking it is either the Load control relay or the headlight relay. Never unplugged the HID from the head light socket connection but they are getting no power from the battery so that should eliminate the HID relay.

I also put electrical tape around the relay and then put a piece of shrink tube over that to keep any moisture out.

nitris223 said:
Now I have possessed lights on the wife's sled. Yesterday we were out riding in cloudy snowy conditions. Then we hit the freezing rain again. Things were going slow and we made it to a warm up shelter wait out the freezing rain. Get into the shelter and look out only to see the wife's sled turn on the lights by it self. Started the sled , ran it for a few minutes and shut it off , lights stayed off for a minute and on again.

It was strange, I pulled the headlight connector for the hi/low switch and the lights went out but the tail light stayed on. Went into the fuse box by the reverse lever ( what a PITA to open) and pulled the fuse there. Lights went out and tail light stayed on. Checked all the other fuses and they were good. Could this be the headlight relay or the load control relay stuck. There was a bit of snow in around the relays but not very much. Just what ever blew in there.

Disconnected the battery last night after we got home. Checked the sled this morning and just connected the battery bolt and the + lead to the sled. No power lead for the HID lights. Tail lights came on. Sleds were in a heated shop.

So I am thinking it is either the Load control relay or the headlight relay. Never unplugged the HID from the head light socket connection but they are getting no power from the battery so that should eliminate the HID relay.

I also put electrical tape around the relay and then put a piece of shrink tube over that to keep any moisture out.

This is the load control relay.
It has gotten moisture in it & was sticking closed, keeping everything on.
It is almost impossible to get the moisture out dependably.

Best bet is replace it with the new Yamaha RED relay.
If your dealer doesn't know what they are, Port Yamaha has them, they are a site sponser here.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

My dealer has the red relay but claims they will only work for the fuel relay. I then asked them why they are all the same part number. If I ask for the load control it should have a superseded part number which matches the red relay. I am going to try them and see if they try and give me the old black one. I have our two old ones still so I can pop one in to verify. Just need to find out which one is the load relay on a 2011 MTX SE.

This is getting off the topic but you can replace all the relays with solid state except the headlight.

I knew you guys were right and the dealer was wrong. Grizz do you know which relay on the 2011 is the load relay. I have changed the fuel relay which had 3 red and 1 blue or 3 blue and 1 red wire. One of those combinations. It was the front one on our 2011`s. I think a 2009 xtx I did was the 3rd back from the front.

I am going to print the picture and take it to the dealer.

load control relay wire colors:

Attachments

• load control relay wire color.jpg
    load control relay wire color.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 79
Got a few question.

* How will the mod of the shield affect oncoming traffic on the trail, any pics of the diffrence low/hi ?

*hows the reability of this kit, alot of the kits i tried cheap as expensive dont seem to be near as solid in reability as usual bulbs.

*and whats up with lifetime warranty and does that cover over seas? Im thinking on importing a pair and try, but the hefty shipping at 45 bucks i dont wanna do twice.. for example if a ballast or hid fail do they just send out with free shipping or what?

I am 99% sure the bulb shield has been updated to make it better.

People on this forum and friends of mine have logged 1000's of miles and many years with their ddm kits, no issues.

They are less expensive (not cheap) because they make 1 kit that will fit many many models of snowmobiles/atv/motorcycles. This keeps production costs down

As for the warranty, I'm not sure, usually they cover the price of the part and you'd pay shipping. Not 100% on this however.

I received a kit last year and the shield around one of the resistors had cracked off. I could hear it rattle loose inside the relay. Sent them a email , explaining the problem , sent a picture and they shipped out a new relay /wiring harness free of charge including shipping. I installed 6 kits last year and that was the only problem. I also found that I just leave them on low beam. Not a whole lot of difference on high. I could see a little further but I could see plenty on low as compared to the stock bulbs. No need to modify the shield , they have been changed since this topic was originally started.

Ddm has been great in all regards. I have always sent bad item back and I pay shipping there and they send me new item free and they pay return shipping. Bulb style is updated with single side deflector. I had ddm 35 watt hid in 08 Nytro installed like Grizz for two seasons care free. Used sled star patch cables so was plug and play. Then this year went to bigger better ballasts 55 watt and mounted it my way to free up intake area and have easier access to coolant bottle.

Back