• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How loose can I run my track?

snow4me

Extreme
I plan on adjusting my track next weekend for maximum looseness without ratcheting. I know I don't want it to ratchet while accelerating but is it ok if it clunks when I hit the brakes? I have heard a clunk on braking before but I am not sure if it isn't the clutch releasing. Sled only has 160 miles on it.

Thanks, Daryl

Depends on the size of your trigger finger (throttle thumb). The ripsaw seems to ratchet less than previous tracks and depends on # of studs and type of snow your on. You also have to watch out for ballooning. Too much and the studs will wipe out your heat shields on the Y pipes in the tunnel.

I have run as much as 2" with 20lbs of pull.

The clunking sound could be anything from your transfer rod to the reverse gear meshing as it changes from a forward load to a reverse load. I never really paid attention to it enough durning braking to notice just run a reasonable amount of slack, maybe twice the spec. and your hifax wear shouldn't be as bad. If this is an Apex no issue, if an Attak you may never get rid of the wear on the center of the skid (beween the wheels) without adding more wheels.

Yeah I missed the clunk on breaking issue in your post. The clutch backshifts and there is slack in the chain case (you can move your secondary back & forth) when you hit the breaks and the clutch back shifts you spool out the freeplay in the system.

Ratcheting is only when you drop the hammer and the drives spin inside the track.

I'll check and see where it is right now and see how loose it is. Hopefully the track has streched enough from new with only 160 on the clock. This is on my 08 Venture with a 144 and no studs. On my old Poo I ran the track quite loose. I thought ballooning was when the track was too tight?
Also, i thought the rule of thumb was to run it as loose as possible and don't use the weight hanging from the track method? No expert here, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks, Daryl

Ballooning is what the track does as centrifical force acts apon it during rotation. The looser the track is on the suspension the more round it tries to become as it spins. Also the track is at its tightest when the sled sits static and as the suspension is compressed under load can actually decrease the tension applied to the track. so setting it too loose still tends to get it really loose when riding.

Your sled weighs 600 lbs with gear you probably weigh 200 or more. all of that weight is sitting on the skid frame (hyfax) and skis pressing down on the slides and clips I really doubt that 1" of sag (tightness) will make much of a difference in the wear caused by friction on the Hyfax.

Wear is a result of type of suspension, sled weight, type of snow, temperatures, track type - # of windows and amount of clips and on and on and on Yamis since 03 have been harder on hyfax due to weight and track choices but I know guys that have gotten 5 to 8 thous miles out of a set. My sled last year was eating 2 pair a weekend.

I loosen it until it ratchets and then tighten it back up until it does not ratchet. I have found that at this point it is about 1 1/2" with 22lbs hanging off it. This is with my Ice Ripper.

Back