• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to Add a Front Radiator to your RX-1

Hhahahahha BTV...

Actually, I thought about using a heater core, even checked into some, finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth trying to re-invent the wheel...

Mounting a heater core and making it tough enough to withstand riding conditions, wasn't worth what little more the factory radiator was.

I just picked an Apex radiator off of ebay for my rx today. 89$ shipped to my door on the "best offer" option. Theres a few more on there if anyones looking.

You DONT want to use A heater core. I looked into it years ago and found that ALL heater cores have coolant lines located on one tank only. All coolers ( water or oil ) have lines on opposite tanks. Heater cores are designed to provide heat without significant temperature drop where as coolers are designed to provide the maximum temperature drop. I used to run A small trans cooler under the hood on my old Exciter SX that had the rear exchanger removed and it worked awesome.

Rock,

I'm thinking of adding this to my RX. My question is on the coolant. Did you have to add any coolant and did you have to bleed the system after the installation?

Going to try this out sometime soon... it would really help when on marginal snow and or sea ice...

RX-E

MNBlizzard said:
Rock,

I'm thinking of adding this to my RX. My question is on the coolant. Did you have to add any coolant and did you have to bleed the system after the installation?

Hey Dude!

Yes, had to add some coolant to make up for what leaked and for what is in the radiator.
Bleeding is pretty easy, just one bleed tap on top of the thermostat housing and one at the rear of the sled inside the back bumper.
Loosten the bleed taps one at a time while the sled is running, until no more air comes out, only liquid.

You will like this! Makes a big difference in marginal conditions. ;)!

Hello RX-E long time :)

That would definitively help out on the hardpack plains, when I say hardpack I mean rock hard concrete snow. We have it from time to time when it's cold and windy for a week or two. No lube from the snow and no cooling, the snow is so hard track barely leaves it's footprint on the snow.

I have missed the radiator a few times.

BTW - how's ice and snow condition on Baffin I.

I have a question, I did this mod to my RX-1 also, used the factory fan and now the plastic body panel will not fit over the fan. Anyone have this problem and if so what did you do?..thanks!!

reverse doesn't seem to work now?

In the process of doing this mod now and it seems the reverse isn't throwing the lever far enough. I moved both pivot pionts back about 3/4" of an inch. Anyone else having this problem?

Another cheap and easy upgrade to the cooling system is to replace the stock STEEL crossover tube with a piece of 1" copper pipe. Copper conducts heat a lot better and can make more of a difference than you would ever expect.

You are welcome!
Know I never regretted doing it to mine.
Worked very well!

Using the Factory Fan:
A couple guys have told me they were able to get good deals on a factory fan.
The factory fan moves ALOT more air.
Works very well also.
They trimmed the plastic cowling panel to allow more air flow & fan clearance.
Trimmed the BACK edges of the ridges to make it look like a grill, gave it a factory look.
(Anyone have a pic to post & show this?)

Rock :-o

Rockmeister said:
You are welcome!
Know I never regretted doing it to mine.
Worked very well!

Using the Factory Fan:
A couple guys have told me they were able to get good deals on a factory fan.
The factory fan moves ALOT more air.
Works very well also.
They trimmed the plastic cowling panel to allow more air flow & fan clearance.
Trimmed the BACK edges of the ridges to make it look like a grill, gave it a factory look.
(Anyone have a pic to post & show this?)

Rock :-o

I just did this to my 03 and used a stock fan. I am at the point of modding the plastic shroud right now. I will take pics when I am done. As far as the stock fan it moves some SERIOUS air. I am wondering if I should put the fan on a switch with a resistor to slow it on "low" for normal use but have the ability of turning it on "high" when its really warm out or hard packed or whatnot.

Back