• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to Change the Fuel Pump Relay on a 2007 Venture MP

MountainWaves

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Venture MP
I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this subject. I've gathered up all the comments I could find and with my experience having just changed the FPR I thought another post might be useful. My machine is a Venture MP 2007.

1. Your sled won't start in cold weather. You turn the key and the telltale drone of the fuel pump is absent. There is a cold weather start problem with the original fuel pump relay and that (probably) is your problem.

2. Buy a replacement relay. It is part number 8GN-81950-00. It is bright red instead of the original black. Cost was $18 Cdn.

3. Tools #5 hex key, 12 mm socket wrench, hookend awl ( or whatever works). The fuel relay should be working (ie not too cold) when you do this. You may need a heat gun otherwise.

4. Flip up the hood, take the drivers right side upper panel off using the thumb screws in place. Use the #5 allen key to remove the four screw bolts in the lower panel.

5. You should be looking at the battery now. If you look to the left and past the bottom of the battery you should see what looks like a black heatsink held in place with a removable rubber strap and behind you should see four relays in a row. You cannot get your hand in there (yet).

6. The metal battery holder is bolted to the main frame. There is a bolt on the upper left side. Use the 12 mm socket wrench to remove this bolt. On the right side is a nut. Again use the 12 mm socket wrench (with an extension this time) to remove the nut.

7. Gently pull the battery holder outwards. The bottom bolts are still in place. It should easily come out 2-3 inches to give you room to get your big hand(s) in there.

8. VERY IMPORTANT. Of the four relays, you want to change the fuel pump relay and there seems to be some discussion on which one it is including the fact that it could be in a different place on the same model. I changed the third relay the first time which turned out to be the wrong relay on my machine. It turned out to be the fourth.

9. With your hand on the 3rd or 4th relay turn the key so the fuel pump engages. You will hear it and you should feel the relay click. Try them all until you find it. If not don't worry just pull a relay. I suggest number 4 to start. If the relay is frozen and not working use the heat gun on the 3rd and 4th relays. In 5 minutes the fuel pump should engage. If you do not have a heat gun try hot tea (I hear it works!)

10. Once you found the FPR remove the relay. This is difficult because there are two side tabs which must be bent back to pull the relay off its holder. I used a screwdriver awl with a 90 degree bend to lift the tabs and pull the relay off. The rubber holder slides off the metal plate as you pull it off.

11. Turn the key again. If you hear the fuel pump you have the wrong relay. Put it back and try another one. Use this method if you could not feel a relay click until you get the correct relay off.

12. Holding the relay receptacle in one hand, push down the relay until the side tabs are in place. Again, this is hard if you have big hands. Check to make sure the fuel pump works.

13. Close everything back up. Congratulations. You have successfully changed the the fuel pump relay on
your wife's sled and she thinks you are the most awesome guy in the world.

Here are some pics. 1. Replacement relay, 2. Some tools, 3. Side covers off. Battery exposed. 4. Left bolt (right nut not shown) 5. Battery holder pulled back. You can see the red replacement relay. 6. Replacement relay in place.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else with this.

Dwight

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2101.jpg IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg

What an awesome second post! I vote that it should go in the FAQ.

That is a nice bit of work, thanks.

Got my vote.

Back