• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how to install coolant temp sensor fx nytro

greenmachine93

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 nytro rtx
I know this topic has already been discussed but I was hoping for new input.
I have a 2008 fx nytro rtx.
I would like to use an analog gauge.
What way would be a cheaper route? What gauges and sensor? How should I mount it to the dash?
What is the best way to install?
If you have pictures that would be great.

Analogue or mechanical would be cheaper but will not react as fast as a digital. The other thing with mechanical temp gauges is that the copper lead is pretty long as they are meant for use in cars and trucks so you would have to coil it up under hood or on top of the motor. I have installed them before on Polaris sleds that I use to own. Finding one with a low temp starting point was tough for 2 strokes. Mounting on a nytro you would have to get a gauge bracket or a gauge cup. I am installing a Koso mini temp gauge on our nytro's and I will be going direct into the thermostat housing. I think they cost me $50 each. Might be able to get a mechanical thermo sensor in there also .

Analogue or mechanical would be cheaper but will not react as fast as a digital. The other thing with mechanical temp gauges is that the copper lead is pretty long as they are meant for use in cars and trucks so you would have to coil it up under hood or on top of the motor. I have installed them before on Polaris sleds that I use to own. Finding one with a low temp starting point was tough for 2 strokes. Mounting on a nytro you would have to get a gauge bracket or a gauge cup. I am installing a Koso mini temp gauge on our nytro's and I will be going direct into the thermostat housing. I think they cost me $50 each. Might be able to get a mechanical thermo sensor in there also .
does $50 include the sensor too or just the gauge?
or should i go with an engine temp sensor instead?
how long does it take to install either of them and where should they be installed?

Last edited:
The koso gauge comes with the sensor. It does not come with the sensor adapter which is what goes into the rad hose. That part is extra because you need to know the diameter of the hose and buy the right size adapter. I plan on putting it into the thermostat housing which will be acting as the adapter. There is a thread on here where a guy has some pictures posted of it installed into the t-stat housing. You have to drill and tap a hole. Time wise is a guess. It depends on your ability to work on the sled and how meticulous you are. If you go with the sensor adapter from Koso then you will install it into the rad hose above the engine. You would have to take off the seat and gas tank to get at the hose. Drain some coolant cut out a 1" piece of rad hose and install the adapter with the supplied clamps, fill up the coolant and make sure you get all the air bubbles out. Either option will require draining some coolant and purging the system of air. I would think it would be a few hours from start to finish if you take your time.

for purging the air out do i just have to make sure the coolant resivor it full every few minutes after running it? thats the way i have always done it. do i put the adapter as close to the thermostat as i can?
where do yall have your gauge mounted? cause im just wondering if it will get in the way of the speedo

Last edited:
I think with the nytro you have to let it run for a while until it gets hot enough to open the t-stat. I have not done the temp sensor just yet so I don't know how long it will take to purge the air but do keep your reservoir is full. I think someone posted that to put the right ski on a milk crate or something to help purge the air while it is running.

I was trying to find the thread where it shows the adapter in the rad line. If I find it or a picture I will post it on here. Do a search under the nytro section and type in temperature gauge and you will get a lot of things to read.

Here is what I could find for pictures. Some show the adapter in the hose and one shows the t-stat housing which you will have to drill and tap to fit the sensors threads. Easy way is with the adapter and cutting the hose. Clean and neat way is into the t-stat , but may take a little longer to do. Saves you the cost of the adapter.
One pic showing where someone mounted their gauge. Won't work for me as I have a windshield bag in that area so I have to place it somewhere else. As soon as I get my sleds out of storage I will be starting on the temp gauge and a few other things.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 846
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,251
  • MettlerBigBoost064.jpg
    MettlerBigBoost064.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 963
I put my adapter in my Nytro in the hose that is underneath the gas tan,k once u lift the tank off. I got my gauge, adapter and pod for $109.75 from pro sport guages. This is where I mounted
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412371981.219756.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412372029.021916.jpg

I seconded the koso gauge and I have a full right up on my sled build in the nytro mountain section. If shows how to tap the sensor into the t-stat housing & full explanation with pictures. Check it out.

Back