• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How tough is swapping tracks on 08 Nytro Rtx?

NH_Nytro

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro
2007 Rs Vector
I am planning on extending my 08 Nytro Rtx to 144'' in the off season and would love to do the work myself and save some cash for other upgrades, adding the tunnel extension won't be hard or adding the rail extension, it's pulling the chaincase apart and dropping the driver that has me worried, I have only swapped one track on a 95 Vmax and it wasn't bad, just don't want to get in over my head is all.

Not much different other than the gears in the chain case. Take plenty of pictures while taking chain case apart and it will be a snap! There is a very good post on here that has pictures already. I think it was done by Ulmer.

I would suggest you install a star suspension relocation kit. when you have it apart. This kit moves your suspension back three and a half inches and makes the sled handle a lot better. I did the star kit and installed a 136 rail extension with avid 8" plastic wheels and I am using a 144 x 1 3/4 backcountry track. If you want to do this you have to find rail extensions that are made for 8" wheels. Or you could use a 128 extension with the star kit and a 136 track. If you look at a ski doo compared to a nitro the distance from the ski spindles to the drive axle is further on the ski doo and the star kit also reduces your approach angle of the track. This is one of the best mods I did on my nitro and after 4 years and thousands of dollars of mods I am completely happy with my sled and I hope to be able to ride it for many years or until Yamaha actually builds there own sled not a Yamacat!

Track swap is easy on these sleds. If you have some mechanical ability you should be able to handle it. The chain case scares some but it's not that complex. There is a small spring behind a gear that can be missed so watch out for that. I'll be doing one for another TY member in a few weeks.

Sliding the skid back with relocate plates and then extending the rails is the way to go but if you don't want to go that direction I'd at least use tipped rail extensions. I extended my 08 RTX out to a 128" with the skid relocate plates then later to a 136" with 4" rail extensions. I mostly stick to the trails and after running this setup I'd never go back to a 121": http://s589.photobucket.com/user/grizztracks/library/Nytro RTX 128 Star Suspension?sort=6&page=1

I have a spare set of relocate plates for a 08 if interested.

Last edited:
grizz - going to put my star kit in this weekend or early next week....anything i should know? only comes with pictures

The star plates are not hard to install. The pictures are pretty much all you need. Most tend to do better with pictures over written directions anyways. When you install the plates the holes normally aren't perfect so I select a couple that align the best then drill out the others. The multigrip rivets do a good job filling oversized holes.

How much do you want for the plates?Also do you have a 128 inch track kicking around?

Back