• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Sratcher Ski Mounting Brackets

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Since mounting options are often limited on the rear skid due to interference issues with arms and wheels under full compression I set out to come up with a simple kit to mount scratchers on skis. The mount I have come up with sandwiches between the ski bolt and ski. Install would require just loosening up the ski bolt so the mount can slide in. Once in place an 1/8" hole is drilled in the saddle for a screw. This screw pins the bracket in place and prevents it from rotating.

One unique feature of the design is that it is meant to break away should the scratcher get hooked on something planted such as a rail road track, bridge etc. The open ended slot ensures the bracket is held in place by just friction and not bound in place by material strength too.

Another nice feature is the ease of install. Once the pinning screw is in place the setup can be installed & removed quickly trail side if you don't want to leave them mounted all the time.

Below are some pics of the prototype concept. The bracket is designed to work on all stock yamaha single keel skis, and tuners. It will also work on viper cat skis, curves, and slydogs.

I plan to sell the mounts as a set for $20. They are stainless steel and will include the pinning screws. I will also include the mounts at no charge to anyone that buys set of ice scratchers from me.

I dont' have any C/A skis in shop right now. I will send a set for free to anyone that has C/A and is willing to do a fit up.

IMG_5757.JPG
IMG_5755.JPG

Good idea with the break away design. That could save you from a major problem. I'm a mechanical designer so anytime I see new things like this I like to comment on the design.

another nice product Travis. If I have a need for anything from you this season I will have you add a set to the order. or shall I say when I need something from you this year.

I was thinking of doing this! I have a set of C&A xtx's id try it on for you! I already have the cable scratchers so all set there! message sent!

I was thinking of doing this! I have a set of C&A xtx's id try it on for you! I already have the cable scratchers so all set there! message sent!

Got your message. I will send a set out to you next week. Thanks!

Just remember that a majority of the bolts that secure the ski's to the spindles don't rotate because of the corrosion that sets up between the spindle bushings and the bolts. with this design the ski is going to rotate but the bolt head wont which may cause some issues with wear on the mount plate or cause the mount plate to come loose.
Could you use a similar design and bolt in it place just behind the spindle/spindle pad?

Just remember that a majority of the bolts that secure the ski's to the spindles don't rotate because of the corrosion that sets up between the spindle bushings and the bolts. with this design the ski is going to rotate but the bolt head wont which may cause some issues with wear on the mount plate or cause the mount plate to come loose.
Could you use a similar design and bolt in it place just behind the spindle/spindle pad?

Ski bolts should never rotate. All rotation occurs between the bushings in the spindle and the collar/spacer that slides into the bottom of the spindle. When you tighten the ski bolt, the ski, collar and bolt are all fixed and (1) assembly. You are right that many times the ski bolts rust and seize fast inside the spindle collar, but that would not yield a different outcome from how its originally designed to function.

The farther away from the ski bolt the more leverage the scratcher gains to oppose your steering effort if it catches something. By mounting to ski bolt it has no leverage to counter an operators steering effort. safety is a high priority with this product. It may appear simple but I put a good deal of thought into it.

Got it now I understand how all the components interact with one another and you are correct. I want to through one more question at you. what if the collar seizes with the bushings and the bushings to the spindle, all the pivoting motion would then occur via the bolt. Wear do to a lack of maintenance may create this situation. Would your design be able to accommodate that? Sorry I am a machine and product designer by trade and I am always looking at how things can fail (even if there is a remote chance) so I can design around the failure modes and create the most robust design I can. I guess its a result of having to hold to many FMEA's and answer to all the inputs over the last 20+ years.

The farther away from the ski bolt the more leverage the scratcher gains to oppose your steering effort if it catches something. By mounting to ski bolt it has no leverage to counter an operators steering effort. safety is a high priority with this product. It may appear simple but I put a good deal of thought into it.

I see, that is a good point, I didnt consider the forces if they catch something defiantly farther away from the bolt could couse some concern for sure.

Travis any thought on adding a light wire teather to this design so you would not lose it in the event of a snag ,just a thought

I run some scratchers on my phazer that are bolted threw the ski they work great on the trails just remember to take them off when load into a trailer

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Travis any thought on adding a light wire teather to this design so you would not lose it in the event of a snag ,just a thought

I had thought about this in the event that a ski bolt comes loose. My thoughts are if the scratcher snags and gets pulled off there's a good chance it would tear the teather too.

Back