• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

idle adjustment

RedFisher

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX Warrior
2010 Apex LTX GT
Hi all,

I cleaned the 4 carbs on my 2004 RX Warrior. One of the pilot jets was definitely clogged. I also adjusted the pilot screws to 2 turns out from seated, as they were all turned out too far.

After reassembling everything, the idle was too high (2200'ish), so I adjusted the idle screw however the idle will not go below 1600 RPM. The screw will not turn CCW anymore. The service manual states idle RPM of 1350-1450, and info on this forum states to set the idle at about 1500 RPM as well. Is there a reason why I can't turn the idle screw further? ...do i need to adjust a cable or is there another problem? ...or should I just be satisfied with 1600 RPMs?

Hi all,

I cleaned the 4 carbs on my 2004 RX Warrior. One of the pilot jets was definitely clogged. I also adjusted the pilot screws to 2 turns out from seated, as they were all turned out too far.

After reassembling everything, the idle was too high (2200'ish), so I adjusted the idle screw however the idle will not go below 1600 RPM. The screw will not turn CCW anymore. The service manual states idle RPM of 1350-1450, and info on this forum states to set the idle at about 1500 RPM as well. Is there a reason why I can't turn the idle screw further? ...do i need to adjust a cable or is there another problem? ...or should I just be satisfied with 1600 RPMs?
I think all is well now. I just started it up again was able to freely adjust the idle with the idle screw. I set it just below 1500 and the throttle response seems good. Not sure why I had the problem earlier. Did working on a snowmobile in summer heat play a part?

Did working on a snowmobile in summer heat play a part?
No, but you might want to check/confirm your throttle cable free play as its possible you had the handle bars slightly turned when initially setting the idle where if not sufficient free play in your throttle lever, caused the RPMs to rise and not allow you to get below 1600.
ThrottlePlay.JPG

No, but you might want to check/confirm your throttle cable free play as its possible you had the handle bars slightly turned when initially setting the idle where if not sufficient free play in your throttle lever, caused the RPMs to rise and not allow you to get below 1600. View attachment 173290
Yes, very likely what I did. Thanks!

Back