• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

idle control

djaksha

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Vertec GT
2010 Yamaha 3 cylinder Vertec GT Fuel injected engine.
Does anyone know what the technology that is used in the ICS ( Idle control module)
It has 6 wires. I am hooking up an aftermarket ECU and can't identify how to control
the ICS. Maybe a PWM "phase width modulation" idle valve? Or stepper motor?

Can anyone help me out, maybe schematic of the control and the wire functions?

Many thanks,

Dave

Do you have the service manual on the sled? You mean the Vector?

Yes, Vector. And yes, I do have the service manual. It shows a drawing of the Idle control, and a test procedure. But, no description about how it works. The test shows doing a resistance check across two pairs of pins. I assume there are two coils that are being tested? Other two wires are unknown, maybe power and ground.

Thanks for getting back to me...

Dave

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 467
Yes, Vector. And yes, I do have the service manual. It shows a drawing of the Idle control, and a test procedure. But, no description about how it works. The test shows doing a resistance check across two pairs of pins. I assume there are two coils that are being tested? Other two wires are unknown, maybe power and ground.

Thanks for getting back to me...

Dave

Ill try to see if any other member have messed with it.

It should be a stepper motor but remember this one controls engine braking by opening at deceleration and idle also. Sorry can't be much help but would like to know more about the system myself.

It should be a stepper motor but remember this one controls engine braking by opening at deceleration and idle also. Sorry can't be much help but would like to know more about the system myself.

I would guess a stepper also. Let's hope someone steps up that knows. Last part of the puzzle on my end.

Dave

Maybe the extra wires are used so it can override the idle control and still control the engine braking even while idle is being maintained?

image.png
If it is a stepper, it would probably be a uni-polar. I don't currently have access to an engine, but if you measure between two test points in the test procedure you should measure something like 60 ohms. Measure between one of the test point and one of the other two connection you should see half the resistance or about 30 ohms.
Dave

Last edited:
I would guess it's similar to a Toyota system. Here is a link with some info on a 6-wire ISC: http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/42947521/M-REL - 6 Wire Idle Speed Control Valve (ISCV) Wiring

Here's a good video for diagnostics. I'm going to have to pull my 4-channel scope out and see if it's similar to Yamaha's ISC

Excellent. I would tend to agree that it is a stepper. The video does a great job of explaining the operation. Let me know what you find out with your scope!. Bet it is the same operation as the Nissan in the video.

Thanks for finding this. Big help.
Dave

Back