• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is chain case oil chain case oil

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
There is no Yamaha dealer anywhere near me and I am in need of some chain case oil. Can I use polaris synthetic chain case oil. It's basiclly the same chain and gears as any other sled isn't it.

I use synthetic car gear lube 75w90. No problems here. The oil that sled makers sell in small overpriced bottles is basically the same stuff.

Do you guys actually find a need to change it every year? I do 1100km per year. I put amsoil snowmobile synthetic gear lube last year. When I check the level the oil still looks good...

cheap insurance. i change mine every year and have never had a failure.

I change my chain case oil at every engine oil change. Oil is cheaper than parts in my book.

i do mine every year and use 75w90 or 75w140 royal purple but i do 2500+ km a year.

Every year it drains the metal filings out. Chain oil doesn't really get dirty just has metal bits in it. I call it quicksilver because it makes oil shine like silver metal flakepaint. Its easy to do and its cheap to change.

I have a small rare earth magnet JB Welded to the dipstick. Works great to trap these particles. I still change it annually also to remove any moisture.

I have a small rare earth magnet JB Welded to the dipstick. Works great to trap these particles. I still change it annually also to remove any moisture.

I want to do this on both of my Vectors. Could you please post a picture of where you mounted it in the stick and also which JB Weld did you use? Where did you get the magnet from and is it special in any way. Thanks!

Here's a clear shot of the magnet on the dipstick and what it caught. I used regular JB Weld as the JB Quick is not as strong. I also scratched up the dipstick so it has something rough to stick on. You can also see the magnet a bit on the outside (hex) end of the drain plug and what it caught. Pretty incredible. 20121027_163937 (Medium).jpg 20121027_163848 (Medium).jpg 20121027_164307 (Medium).jpg

I got these from Princess Auto in Canada. Not sure where you could get these in the US. Hardware stores or industrial supply stores. They're about 1/4" diameter. They're pretty strong and will stick to the outside of the drain plug. Amazon has them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...e+earth+magnets&sprefix=small+rare+ea,aps,558

Ah shoot. I was just there yesterday. Time to go back.

I had forgot about this little contraption you did Mooseman. Thanks.

Back