• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is This a Major Ooops?

cnybrian

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Attak
Was working on a sled (not a Yamaha) and had an allen head bolt that won't come out. Been soaking it every day with PB Blaster and still wont come out. I even tried using some heat. Well, the allen head stripped out so I tried using a spiral screw extractor and it BROKE off inside the bolt I am trying to remove.

I've tried using a cobalt tipped bit but it is not hard enough to penetrate the extractor.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Tool steel is just about the hardest metal. A machine shop might be able to pull that sucker out but may damage the threads.

They make external as well, just drive them on! SHOP

Irwin Hanson 13-piece Bolt Extractor Set
by Irwin Industrial
Size: 13-Piece, 1/4-inch to 3/4-inch

FREE Shipping
$99.24

Add more than 1 item to your order
to get additional savings

Add to Cart

15% off your first order
Use code 15NOW at checkout.
Brand restrictions apply. Maximum discount $30. Order minimum of $35.

Description
Technical Specification Item Bolt Extractor Set Type Left Hand Spiral Flute Number of Pieces 13 For Removing Studs, Bolts, Screws 1/4-3/4 & 8-19mm Drive Size (In.) 3/8 Includes 1/4, 5/16 (Turns 8mm), 3/8, 7/16 (Turns 11mm), 1/2, 9/16 (14mm), 5/8 (16mm), 11/16, 3/4 (Turns 19mm), 10, 12, 13, 17mm Compliance and Restrictions None This listing is for each.
Size: 13-Piece, 1/4-inch to 3/4-inch
Left hand spiral flute for gripping power.
˙
Can be used with flat wrench, adjustable wrench or socket.
˙
Made with high carbon steel.
˙
Available in 18 sizes from 1/4"-1" standard and metric.
˙

Weld a nut on top of it if possible....

had a similar thing happen....was able to take a dremel and cut a slot in the head...then use MAPP gas...not propane to heat....backed it out 1/4" at a time reheating frequently..

if you are left with the weld a nut technique, make sure you remove your ECU prior to welding...they fry easily and are pricey !

I did this once on a starter bolt in a 350 chevy. My grandpa just shook his head and reached in a drawer and handed me a bunch of dremel grinding bits. It took me a while, but eventually I got the ez-out dug out of there and was able to remove the bolt with a bigger ez-out. The good news it that the heat from all the grinding had loosened it up. Wear goggles!

Whatever method you decide to use to remove it. Weld a nut to it, use an external extractor, etc etc.
Before you try to remove it again give it a few whacks with a hammer if possible.
I remove stuck bolts daily at work, the shock method works well combined with some penetrating oil.

Whatever method you decide to use to remove it. Weld a nut to it, use an external extractor, etc etc.
Before you try to remove it again give it a few whacks with a hammer if possible.
I remove stuck bolts daily at work, the shock method works well combined with some penetrating oil.
X2

Weld nut on, air hammer with a blunt tip, more PB, heat, repeat process.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Tool steel is just about the hardest metal. A machine shop might be able to pull that sucker out but may damage the threads.

&^%%^$%#$#@%$*(*)(*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back