• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is this track toast?

slimjim2525

Lifetime Member
Was getting my sleds ready to go, and noticed 5 lugs on my wife's 2011 apex looked like this. Is it junk or good to go? The track only has 2044 miles on it.

Attachments

• DSCN0042.JPG
    DSCN0042.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCN0043.JPG
    DSCN0043.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 358

Missing lugs but I see no tearing so I'd think it would be fine. Just keep an eye on it. My sister ran one with over half the lugs ripped off till she got tired of getting stuck all the time. Track stayed fine for years just missing lugs. I think she was tearing the lugs off when stuck on sticks stumps and rocks when breaking trail.

Anyway she replaced the track and did not tear anymore lugs off off the secondhand replacement track. Go figure! Maybe a bad track in her case, in yours maybe caught a rock on braking or acceleration.

I tore a strip of lugs (about 4 or 5) on my track in the Whiteshell with the brakes coming down a steep hill was my conclusion (cut was from the front of the track towards the bake so it happened under braking), bad part was though I cut right into the first layer and split a couple reinforcement rods that run under the track lugs as well. So I had this flap of rubber slapping around, we cut it off and I rode it for about 600 miles like that till my new track came in. Idlers had the inner layer of track to run on but I took it a bit easier on the trip home. Also sheared off the back inside idler wheel bolts that hold the idler shaft in place in the skid and had that tumbling around the rear axle with no vibration. That was when we noticed the torn track so I hit something hard!

Running parallel to train tracks with the rails exposed will do this to the outside lugs in short order.

I just picked up '10 Vector with only 1300 miles and the track looks just like yours. While initially wondering what abuse the previous owner might have put it through I was also wondering if tunnel icing might be play a part? Anyway, a quick research of track pricing makes it an easy decision to run it as is. Other than the slight loss of traction, don't believe this will leave me stranded on the trail anytime soon.

Back