• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

JRE spindles or Mountaintech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith1962

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX,OFT Relocator, Excell exhaust, Curve Skis, Excell wheels, Dupont Slides. Star Suspension. Hygear Billet rear shock and spring spacer. Air Box Mod. Clutch mods, Polished tunnel. Custom GPS mount. BOP Skid Plate. RSI handwarmers.
I have a 2009 XTX, which I like a lot other than the heavy steering. I have the tuner skis. I'm looking at either the JRE spindles or the Mountaintech 43 + 2 A arms. Which is better for lighter steering and general handling improvements?

Well, for what it is worth I don't have hands on experience with either, but I'd go with the arms. I had Skinz Concept arms along with Fox EVOL R shocks. The difference was unreal and for the better. I actually had the 39" wide kit and it was night and day off trail and handled every bit as good on the trail as stock.

I would also skip the JRE and stick with the A-Arm.. JRE really drop the front of the sled down.. I have a set of JRE that I would sell..

I have a short track Nytro that I bought with the JRE spindles on it.

They are definitely better handling than stock, and i believe they are made more for the xtx nytros. I cant see how they will make your steering lighter however. On my short track, just putting the tuners on my sled made it feel like i have power steering, super easy steering effort, but again my sled is a 121 so not a direct comparison.

I dont know if its the spinldles fault, the skis that were on it,just bad luck or the crappy snow conditions. . But in 1500 kms of riding so far this year, I bent both of my steering radius rods that connect to the spindle. My other nytro i have put over 6000 kms on the last 2 seasons, and never bent anything with the stock spindles.

Well, I have the jre on my nytro xtx. Amazing handling characteristics, What I've done is added the 18.25 shocks and gone without sway bar, which has been great so far. No ski lift at all, and I can lean it over any side and hold it in the meadows. My ultimate goal is to install mountaintech crossover arms with the jre kit and see what happens. Of course issue with that is now I'm almost up to skinz price, which wasn't my intention. Beauty of the jre kit is it lowers the COG, which we all know is the nytro's worst characteristic, however agreed definitely low which is a concern (without new shocks). I've ran 3 seasons and no issues so far though. I think the answer is, both help so much... but haven't heard one thing bad about mountaintech, jre has been amazing for me...

Your steering could be heavy do to suspension setup. Where is you limiter strap set? I have the mountaintech 43+2 a-arms and like them very much,but steering did increase with them and when I added the curves it increase even more. It handles better than stock and I continue to tweak caster/camber to make it better.

Pete

I don't know how the straps are set up... I just got the sled. One of the straps broke already, so I'm replacing both of them. Ill let them down one hole and see if that helps the heavy steering.

I'd start with suspension setup as well before spending money on aftermarket parts. There's an XTX suspension settings thread out there that should get you started. After reading through all the pages and making notes I've been able to improve my ride and initial heavy steering quite a bit.

I have JRE Spindles and Fox 18.25" length front shocks. I used the JRE spindles with the stock GYTR shocks (17.5" length) for two seasons which was a HUGE improvement for my style of trail riding (aggressive) Almost no inside ski lift and a much more stable platform. Later Switched the front shocks out for the longer 18.25" fox Evols and the sled made another big gain in performance, ride and control.. For about the same money as the A arms you can do the JRE spindles and buy a good used set of 18.25" front shocks which is probably the best bang for the buck. I'm sure the A arms are a good upgrade also but in my opinion with either modification you still need to buy shocks (or rework the GYTR's) to finish the upgrade properly.

Last edited:
I have the Mountaintech 43+2 a-arms and it's a day and night difference! Before I was not confident carving thru corners at more than novice or Grandpa speeds and with the mountaintech 43+2 a-arms I can slalom on a railroad bed width trail from side to side. I never noticed any heavy steering but I'm 260Lbs ex competitive weight lifter so would not notice heavy steering even with 3 of 4 shoulder tendons re attached.

I got back from Maine Monday night , Mountain tech 43 plus 2 . And Star kit . All I can say is this set up Rocks :Rockon:.
I can skinny ski in a circle no problem at all . If I am on a side road I can ride the snow bank no problem, before the sled would almost tip over ,so I almost never did that .this sled is a beast now . Thanks to Peter from mountain tech , and Robert from Star suspension. :sled2: 20160207_133234.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back