• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jump pack suggestions

TD Max

Lifetime Member
Looking at buying one of the jump packs. I figured it would be handy to have one packed on the sled and maybe keep in the trucks as well. Looking at the Micro Start XP-1 at about $75. Looking for feedback on how well these things work and last. Also any insight as to how to avoid knock offs? I've seen them at $139 with warnings that if they are priced below this then they are knock offs.

Another key factor to me is to take with on my boat. I have a 115 Merc 4 stroke EFI and I'm on the 8th year on my starting battery. I think it should last another season with the little use that it gets, but having one of these in the pocket sure would be handy. That and charging my phone at the cabin when the generator is off.

I have the Micro start and love it.
I have used it to start trucks , cars, jet skiis, boats thankfully never sleds but it will work. Always tell myself to take with if ever ride alone, I often do , but usually for get as always starts fine. I actually bought one for each of my kids and I know they love them as well.

Yamadoo

Do you recall which model and what you paid for it? Thinking I'll just roll the dice on the $75 XP-1 and hope it is legit.

FYI the price moved to $83 between the time of my posts. :rolleyes

No I do not know model # it was more than 100$ I do remember. It was all the attachments and adapters in a leather case, we got them for Christmas present for the grown kids if I remember correctly. Mark

I have an XP-1 and XP-10. I like them both but to me the smaller XP-1 is much easier to use on almost anything. I have even jumped a dead 6 Liter V8 no problem with it. Charge seams to last quite a long time and charges very fast.

I agree. Had both also. Lost my XP-1 up in Muni somewhere when I left rear bag open! I liked it better since it always started everything I tried it on and it didn't have the stupid little boost button the 10 has. Pain trying to depress that button. Safety Nazis must have come up with that bright idea. Also really liked how small the 1 is. TD I don't know how to distinguish between a fake one or real. I got mine at dealership and I know it came there through Parts Unlimited. Hopefully they vet the stuff. Maybe go through a dealer instead of EBay.

I agree. Had both also. Lost my XP-1 up in Muni somewhere when I left rear bag open! I liked it better since it always started everything I tried it on and it didn't have the stupid little boost button the 10 has. Pain trying to depress that button. Safety Nazis must have come up with that bright idea. Also really liked how small the 1 is. TD I don't know how to distinguish between a fake one or real. I got mine at dealership and I know it came there through Parts Unlimited. Hopefully they vet the stuff. Maybe go through a dealer instead of EBay.

I agree 100%.. I hate that boost button on the XP-15.. I always seem to be using the XP-1.

I have had my XP-1 for over 2 years. I take it almost everywhere I go off road. I've not had occasion to use it for jump starting, but it comes in handy for charging cell phones and other electronics when the power is out for extended periods. I have also ran my laptop on it for 1/2 hour. It also goes to the UP on super bowl week when the "Wild Boys" from our snowmobile club head north. The WB's average age is 70ish years old so they need some backup!

You might also want to check into a good charger for your vehicles. My power sport recommendation is the Optimate 4. It tests, desulfates, charges and maintains the battery on my diesel Kubota mower so I suspect it will do a great job on the battery for your boat, and perhaps get a couple extra years of life out of that battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optim...68&sr=1-9&keywords=optimate+4+battery+charger

So where's mine Dad???????

If I remember correctly you too have done many 'gifts to children' so you know the answer, "be good and Wait your turn". LOL

Always carry the xp-1 all winter in whatever sled, also have the xp-10 works outstanding

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I went with the Earth X jump pack. The reason I went with them is because they list the type of lithium cells used. Antigravity does not list what type of cells are used. The only thing that I have tried to start with the Earth X was a riding lawn mower. It worked, but I feel the amount of charge left in the pack was less then I would have expected it to be based on all the reviews about the Antigravity packs.

If I were to do it again I think I would call/email Antigravity and ask them what type of lithium cells they use. For those of you that do not know, most if not all other then Earth X use LiPo cells (rc flying toys, those hover boards that are always in the news for catching fire). Those cells are very sensitive to trama and if punctured will smoke/burn/explode (we are talking 1,000°f + fire temps). If over charged the exploding failure is MUCH greater. Some of the cheaper jump packs do not have good fail safe charging circuits and do not do a good job of correctly monitoring the charge state. Earth X states they use LiFePo cells. LiFePo cells when over charged or punctured do not explode like regular LiPo cells. Now that being said If Antigravity does use LiFePo's I would go with them next time as their packs offer more features.

If any of you are using packs that have LiPo cells in them. I would strongly caution charging them any place other then an open area with nothing flammable around it. Like a garage floor (google LiPo Fire) or a strong metal container or cooking pot/ammo box. Never leave them charging when you are not around to keep an eye on them (yes I am talking a little far fetched, but they can and do explode). Also don't leave them in a hot car on summer days. It is bad for the cells and can also cause them to catch fire.

Lithium battery's that catch fire cannot be put out with the fire extinguishers you have at home ot work. You need to take the oxygen source away from the source or reduce the heat of the fire to below the flash point. Back when I worked for a living I had a warehouse that I was responsible for, one Sunday afternoon I get a call about a fire in the warehouse. When I got there the fire was out and the pallet where it started was moved outside. Initially the cause of the fire was not known because of the extensive damage to the pallet contents.
When we pulled the records for that storage location the culprit was ID'd, 6 lithium batteries about the size of a quarter. Only one had ignited!

Yea the good news is they don't burn a long time and will exhaust their energy fairly quickly. The bad news is whatever is close to them (including their casing) does. Good thing they were only small cells that burned that pallet up. A 4s LiPo from a jump pack would spray a huge flame.

Back