• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just found my new helmet

Tried on a Castle helmet today at Ken's. Pretty nice. Trying now to decide if I should get electric shield or not. Any advice? Never had one before. Worth the money?

Tried on a Castle helmet today at Ken's. Pretty nice. Trying now to decide if I should get electric shield or not. Any advice? Never had one before. Worth the money?

I didn't have one till last year but after having one I don't think I'll ever go without one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a helmet post with out some one singing the praises of the BV2S.

Is this TY?

Lol

509 carbon fiber and sinister goggles, light as a feather and the goggles never fog up, never going back to the old heavy #*$&@ pumpkin's.

What a helmet post with out some one singing the praises of the BV2S.

Is this TY?

Lol

I still like my BV2S other then not bring any mouth peace inserts on one long ride last year. I never needed them before and that morning when we left it was fine as usual. But the ridding conditions coming back at night apparently needed the pads since I was fogging like crazy. Boy was that a long ride for me. My bad. This summer I found a guy on Ebay who makes his own pads for the BV2S. So I'll be carrying them from now on just in case.

The helmet being an old technology is heavier by today's standards. So I am always in a lookout for the next best thing.

My friend tested out the CKX last year on a get off in the trail and broke the front jaw piece off and had a big cut on his forehead. The pins for the flip up are made of plastic. One hit and the helmet is done.

Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's true (that they're done after one hit) of any helmet. A lot of manufacturers are trying to develop a safer helmet, but to my knowledge nothing that currently exists on the market provides better protection than the standard closed-cell (hard foam) liner used in practically all helmets today. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that these liners contain tiny pockets of air which are encapsulated within the foam, and that on impact these closed cells of air burst and function to absorb and decelerate the impact of your brain against your skull. Lots of studies have been done to find a better material, but no one has come up with something that does a better job than closed cell foam. More importantly, is that once these pockets of air within the foam are damaged, the liner no longer affords the same level of protection. So in that sense, it's a one shot deal. That's why it's so important to take good care of your helmet. Even dropping a helmet on the floor can damage it. Certain impact sports like hockey and football don't use these same liners for that very reason.

I can't remember if it was the NCAA or the NHL that conducted a big study on different helmet types (those used for hockey) and essentially found that no particular brand or style of helmet afforded any better protection than another, and also concluded that all helmets are severely lacking in their ability to protect the brain from significant impact.

Modular helmets BTW, are NOT safer than closed faced helmets. Many modular helmets cannot even achieve the DOT rating, let alone Snell or ECE ratings. Something to keep in mind when buying your next helmet. For more info, see: http://www.helmets.org/liners.htm

Last edited:
I still like my BV2S other then not bring any mouth peace inserts on one long ride last year. I never needed them before and that morning when we left it was fine as usual. But the ridding conditions coming back at night apparently needed the pads since I was fogging like crazy. Boy was that a long ride for me. My bad. This summer I found a guy on Ebay who makes his own pads for the BV2S. So I'll be carrying them from now on just in case.

The helmet being an old technology is heavier by today's standards. So I am always in a lookout for the next best thing.

Hmmm I have never worn the mouth piece inserts, never fogged -30 to 50+, the water just drips down the front of the helmet onto my coat when not absorbed or staying in a pad. Might want to look for another cause of fogging.

Trust me they have their limit under certain circumstance without a pad. I couldn't believe it either. I have this helmet since 2007 and it was the first time I had problems. It must of been -20C but dropping fast late at night. Fog/snow dust was accumulating slowly inside then it would freeze.

Same week my cousin and her husband where ridding in -25C. Full sun but it wasn't enough and helmets were icing so they both had to stop at a ski-doo dealership to buy/install the pads. They were fine afterwards...well that part of their body at least. ;)

Thanks good to know. I will have to have some along to prevent this. Yamadoo

Check your seal on the double glazed shield I have 2 bv```'s and both failed last season sucks $110 a piece for new shields the grey gasket let's go

Check your seal on the double glazed shield I have 2 bv```'s and both failed last season sucks $110 a piece for new shields the grey gasket let's go
my first BV2S helmet lasted like forever the new one seems to be lower quality and has issue after issue. Has anyone else seen a drop in quality or did I just get a bad one?

Back