• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lessons learned

The guy that took that pic came upon me an hour after I initially got stuck. It would go about a ft then stuck again and that was a groomed trail about 4 hrs earlier.

Heheh! late Sixties, riding my 'rocket ship Super Olympic' along railway tracks to cross a small river. Apparently the railroad installs secondary tracks(supposively preventing derails) over bridges just a touch narrower than the Bombi ski track! You guessed it, the machine locked on the rails, and sent me 50ft forward, heheh, clearing the bridge. It took 20 minutes to 'unjam' the ski legs from the tracks while earnestly listening for a train approaching. Brown spots were in the pants....! Both ski legs were badly bent outward, needless to say my old man was not impressed!

I had a rental z570 about 10 years ago after my own sled went down. It would top out about 80mph max on Portage Lake in the UP.

Well, after it got real cold at night the sled suddenly started running better.

80mph....85mph....90....92!

In this situation you should:
A. Keep it pinned to see if you can hit 100
B. Let off to avoid a meltdown in the middle of the night on a 12 mile long stretch of lake

I boarded the Idiot Express for a one way ride down Piston Alley that night.

Last edited:
I had a rental z570 about 10 years ago after my own sled went down. It would top out about 80mph max on Portage Lake in the UP.

Well, after it got real cold at night the sled suddenly started running better.

80mph....85mph....90....92!

In this situation you should:
A. Keep it pinned to see if you can hit 100
B. Let off to avoid a meltdown in the middle of the night on a 12 mile long stretch of lake

I boarded the Idiot Express for a one way ride down Piston Alley that night.
Yeah when they run too good its time to back off . LOL

March Riding... This was a friend of mine (in the black) who slowed down (rookie move) when he saw slush & water... the new sled only had 200 miles on it. It took 4 of us to get it out.
Viper Down.jpg
The seat foam didn't dry out until August...

Fresh lessons this weekend:
1) When towing another sled up a hill you have very little ski pressure and therefore almost no steering
2) When the guy on the sled being towed veers to the right your sled will veer left
3) What looks like a firm snow bank is more than likely 3 feet of powder
4) It takes three guys to lift an RX-1
5) Nobody complains about getting you unstuck if you are the tow vehicle

Yammy.jpg

in that ditch no kidding. kid I towed this weekend learned to check the injection oil before he leaves home. was a fresh rebuild on an indy 440 too.

1. Don't wait until the beginning of the season to do the maintenance on your sled. Do it at the end to avoid surprises next season
2. If you get stuck, don't panic and work slowly to get it out. It will get out eventually. No point in getting hurt or tired.
3. If you go by a gas station, fill up even if you don't need it
4. Buy spare bearings for everything
5. The belt guard can be used as an emergency shovel
6. Buying the same sleds makes for great parts interchangeability
7. If you're going for a two hour ride, prepare for four hours. If a four, prepare for eight. And so on.
8. Electric shields fail when it's -20c and cracking your helmet open freezes your face off
9. Trail signs are as clear as mud so carry a map
10. Check the weather before leaving for a ride, even if the sister-in-law shows up.

lol already have #4 covered and #8 is very true.

Ignoring #3 resulted in a tow for a friend of mine....'Guys, it still says 3/4 tank!'

Back