• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lighter steering?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 rtx nytro
I currently use precision skis, looking to add relocate and try different skis to get easier steering. Any suggestions

Snowtrackers on stock skis work fantastic. I run trackers on all of my sleds including a Nytro. Last season I had a nytro with curves and another with stock skis and snow trackers. The nytro with trackers felt like it had power steering! I stock and sell trackers if you want to try them. You won't be dissapointed as they track straight and corner with no push as well.

The stock skis with Stud Boy Deuce bars also work well. After trying several dual keel skis I went back to the stock skis and installed a set of Deuce bars. I also shimmed the rear of the ski rubbers 3/16". If you're not overly aggressive this setup handles well and steering effort isn't bad at slower speeds. If you're aggressive then it's hard to beat a set of Curves on a Nytro.

The pilots seem to work better that the precision on a Nytro. I run oft locate with tuners, its ridiculous how easy the steering is. You can pretty much drive with 1 hand on the bar. I hate heavy steering on a sled.

The Nytro will always have heavier than average steering...is what it is.

Tuners with 4in/2out work well and steer easy IF you use round carbides....shapers and other square bar carbides are heavy steering..especially the initial input.
The older Yamaha oem skis with snowtrackers or deusces etc also steer easy as mentioned.

Avoid any single keel aftermarket ski....crazy heavy steering on a nytro. Curves are the least heavy steering altho still heavier than oem or tuners.

The steering relocate is a must for the Nytro regardless of ski choice. It changes the plane and geometry of the riders arms/shoulders for the better and this alone makes the steering feel and act lighter..and is a far more natural argo for the human body.
Not sure who the rider was for Yamaha when designing the nytro but the oem steering post location/geometry is full out retarded.

Hey what do you guys think? On my Nytro Rtx Se I have the track 128" relocate. I have yet to do the steering relocate which will be done this fall. I started out with a set of Simmons with 6in shapers inside and out. Wow is all I can say my shoulders didn't stop hurting until June! So mid season I switched to the stock ski with a 8in shaper a lot better for heaviness of steering but of course the twitchiness was there. With the track relocate there is more weight on the ski's. I have a line on a set of the stock MTX skis. What do you guys think of a combination of that with a set of snotrackers for a little more flotation and handeling?

Hey what do you guys think? On my Nytro Rtx Se I have the track 128" relocate. I have yet to do the steering relocate which will be done this fall. I started out with a set of Simmons with 6in shapers inside and out. Wow is all I can say my shoulders didn't stop hurting until June! So mid season I switched to the stock ski with a 8in shaper a lot better for heaviness of steering but of course the twitchiness was there. With the track relocate there is more weight on the ski's. I have a line on a set of the stock MTX skis. What do you guys think of a combination of that with a set of snotrackers for a little more flotation and handeling?

I have a few customers that run the oem mtx ski with snowtrackers. Just an FYI I can get you snow trackers for c/a, curve and sly dog skis as well. This gives you more options.

Softening up the preload on your front shocks will decrease steering effort. I have the fox float x shocks on my Nytro and 55psi is what I run in my shocks. When I had it up at 90psi it was a bear to steer but with the softer setup it's good now.

Not to hyjack but may be a good spot for others doing a search, any opinions out there of the steering relocate for shorter people? I've heard good about it but am on the fence since I'm only 5'4" and wonder if it would be an advantage or not. Thanks

X2 on suspension setup, mine has the gyt shocks but noticed that even smaller changes both front and rear suspension made big changes. Very sensitive to change compared to older style sleds I've played with. I haven't tried many combos yet for skis on this sled but the pilots seem OK so far as long as suspension is setup. Seems more for on trail though, not so much off trail, and the don't seem to like mushy stuff if it's a little warmer conditions. Mine are the older style narrow ones though.

I switched to the MTX ski's and aggressive Snotrackers. I love the Snotrackers. ZERO darting. I wouldn't compare it to power steering but it is definately lighter. I haven't been in enough snow to try out the increased floatation of the MTX ski's but others say it works very well.

Yamaha MTX ski with stud boy deuce runners, set up suspension for light front end. (Limiter straps fully extended, lots of rear transfer, springs on med setting)
I have XTX, with 1900 springs, weigh about 220 dressed in riding gear. Front end on my sled feels as light as anything else I've ridden, very little steering effort needed. Actually at trail speed(80km/h) I can turn my bars side to side, skis aren't touching.

Steering relocate is a must regardless of what else you do.
The Nytro stock steering post geometry is completely wrong causing very unatural and difficult steering mvmnt from the rider that is entirely incompatible to the human torso......seriously.

The relocate changes the angle required for the body to push/pull the bars rather than the weird up/down motion. It doesnt complwtely solve it but gets things about 80% there.

Ski choice/ carbides and chassis setup can then be chosen for the conditions and rider expectations.

The Nytro is a nose heavy sled, suffers from bump steer and other chassis shirtcomings as well as doesnt float in deep or loose snow well.

Yamaha tuner skis with the right cardbides offer exc hardpack trail handling, no darting and light steering.....their only downside is very poor deep/ loose snow performance....they are terrible here.

For deep loose and or off trail use a wider longer deeper keeled ski is needed which greatly help the nose heavy Nytro to float and turn/handle in deep loose sloppy cinditiins. Their major tradeoff is heavier steering.

I run tuners on hardpack trail and late season well setup snow conditiins.
Run Curves for early season, fresh loose snow and or off trail or back country riding.

I run the skid without coupler blocks and a longer limiter strap with the curves to lighten the steering and enjoy great transfer for that enviroment. Sled is way fun and floats and stands up with throttle easily.

I run the skid with the coupler blocks and a slightly shorter limiter strap for the tuners and the sled handles and steers great

Yamaha MTX ski with stud boy deuce runners, set up suspension for light front end. (Limiter straps fully extended, lots of rear transfer, springs on med setting)
I have XTX, with 1900 springs, weigh about 220 dressed in riding gear. Front end on my sled feels as light as anything else I've ridden, very little steering effort needed. Actually at trail speed(80km/h) I can turn my bars side to side, skis aren't touching.

I don't get it. So you can move your handlebar from side to side and the sled won't turn when you are going 80 km/h? If so, is that light steering or no steering?

Back