• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Long Fox Shocks w/ extended towers

bjowett

Lifetime Member
Thought I would share another project....

In the quest for an even better do it all suspension, I recently built these extra long Fox Zero X/Podium X shocks for the Rage. They measure about 20.5" eye to eye extended, which will require the upper towers to be extended. Travel at the ski will remain a happy 13", shaft travel is 6.5". The springs are 210lb over a 140lb main, 5/8" shafts, progressive bumpers, ice scrapers, compression and rebound adjustments. Hopefully the towers will get sorted out this weekend... here's a pic as the mock up begins...

foxshoxred.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. That option was considered but dropped for a bunch of reasons. Dropping the lower mounts closer to the ground increases the probability of snagging or impacting something. I want to keep the motion ratio a little steeper/closer to stock, the extended arms have already pushed the bottom of the shock out which slightly reduces their ability to handle the bigger hits. The MPI arms are supposedly 4130 and heat treated, so cutting and welding could weaken the heat treat... the upper cast towers lend themselves nicely to a bolt on bracket with crossbrace to keep things strong.

The flat plates aren't cro-mo and extending the top you run into hood/body work issues I run 19" center to center Walker Evans on my Rx-1 without any modification and stock arms. I didnt think you would need modify the bottom (move the mounting down and out further) that much to run what you are proposing with longer arms... I would rather spend the money re-working the arms (A good tig welder and cautious procedures wouldnt effect the tubular part of the arms) than have to deal with working on the bodywork or in worse case the possibility of A cracked or broken bulkhead due to increased stress.

Last season I ran the same length shocks as you and they were a good fit... in all honesty I'm looking forward trimming the body and having the shocks stick up an additional 2" higher. IMO it just looks cool... :Rockon: I've done extended towers on several ATV's and trucks, they have worked out well. Thanks for the concern, I do appreciate!

3/4 ton just fits... :jump:

That looks nice. Actually that was made on the Vector Snowcross sleds in sweden if im not mistacen,

Or maybe I am thinking of the later one with Phazerlike front susp? HMMMMM....

Back