• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Made the switch from 2 stroke to 4..

Rjnytrofx

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha nytro fx
1979 Yamaha enticer 250
Hey everyone. Just picked up a 2008 Yamaha nytro rtx fx short track. I'v been a two stroke guy my whole life. Took it for a spin yesterday and I am really impressed. Wow. Anything I should look out for? I just re did the primary clutch, sled has 1-3/4 track mprb pipe the rest is pretty much stock. How do these thing start in the - 30. It has a new battery in it. Sled has 7900 miles. Anything helps. Thanks guy

Attachments

• IMG_20150724_111355.jpg
    IMG_20150724_111355.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 79

Welcome to the club, buddy! Just joined myself I had a '97 600cc triple but found a '12 nytro that was barely broke in & at a real nice price. What I'm finding is that there are tons of suggestions for mods (which I've been tangling myself up over), but as I take the time to ride it (about 200kms logged) I start getting used to it, and really I don't mind it the way it is. One issue I wonder about but haven't had enough snow to find out is flotation. I'm told these machines are so front end heavy they plow through the snow if there a significant amount. Thus far where I live there like 5" max, so no problems with that yet. I'm finding the adjustments on the shocks are super for fine tuning the handling. I've heard lots of feedback about 'darty steering' and increased steering effort, but as I get accustomed to riding the Nytro its not near as bad as one builds it up to be in their head after reading on some of the forums. My biggest problem? Surviving all week until I can haul "Bob" out to where there's enough snow to ride!

Gas tank is pretty small. You'll get about 170km if you are trail riding. I just added a mountain addiction track rack on to my xtx so will see how that works. Not to sure on your options with the smaller track because I guess there isn't too much room on the back. Trail tank? I know there are a few different kinds or gass carriers, but mountain addiction cleans up nicely and doesn't get in the way.
Matt

Almost forgot, I also have the coolant heater. So it plugs in like a car when it's cold out! Have not tried it yet but it should be used this year. I bought my sled late last season and only got one ride with it, that's why I never tried it.
Matt

Oh right. One other small problem is lack of cargo capacity. Man, you need to just fire it up, get out there, and let us know what's RIGHT about it!

Oh right. One other small problem is lack of cargo capacity. Man, you need to just fire it up, get out there, and let us know what's RIGHT about it!
Exactly! Very fun and playable machine for a 4 stroke. I love the design of it because it's not very wide compared to most sleds. Well not for sure but it feels a lot narrower compared to most sleds! Haha

Yeah unfortunately with the short track I have no room for extra fuel. I took the sled out this weekend, and I was really happy with it. The cargo space isn't too big of a deal. I always use a backpack anyway.

Yeah unfortunately with the short track I have no room for extra fuel. I took the sled out this weekend, and I was really happy with it. The cargo space isn't too big of a deal. I always use a backpack anyway.
Welcome you'll like it, they start well in cold with 0-40 synthetic oil.

welcome....two things I would address are steering re-locate (I have the OFT unit) there are a few different one's available. and also a trail tank (increases capacity by 10 litres). I have done a few mods and personally I think those are the two most important one's to me.

cheers....welcome to TY

I agree with stubb but feel the wrp seat should be added to that. At that point you have everything way sled always should have been now ride it an decide what if anything you want to change. Only suggestion is hygear for rebuild and revalve when it's due and get their spring kit too, you'll be amazed!

One worth while upgrade for running in temps like -30 would be the new style fuel pump relay. My stock relay froze up last year and I had to boil the kettle to get it warm enough to engage. The Yamaha part number is 8GN-81950-00-00, it is red in colour, so easy to spot if it has been done to your sled already. The relay's are located under the hood towards the front on the left side of the tool bag (While standing in front of the sled). The easiest way to determine which relay is for the fuel pump is to place you hand on each one and see which one will click when you turn your key on.

Trail Tank is also an awesome feature if you do any long distance riding, you buddies will be looking fo gas before you will need any.

Cheers and Welcome to the 4 Stroke world!

Jason

Check a arms for play. Mine had 3600 miles on it and the factory plastic bushings were toast. Oilites solve the problem, can get them from local Yamaha dealer. Also by mbrp pipe you mean muffler, than you'll still have exhaust donuts that will degrade and leak. Copper replacements are the way to go. See few items I replaced on my 2008 nytro.

How many miles you guys roughly get on a tank, trail riding hard?

I just calculated mine to be around 13mpg, so maybe 80-90 miles to a tank? In total it was 185km/36L. Thing burns 2x the fuel of our van or truck, but is 4x the fun.

Back