• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono Skid Install in Nytro

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
I've never been a big fan of the torsion spring suspensions. I think alot of people like riding the Nytro for the seating position and lighter weight, but ride quality is nowhere close to an apex or vector on trails. I really think installing a mono skid into the Nytro would be a very desirable setup, so I am working on a painless mounting kit to install the mono skid into a Nytro. Just like my 03-04 rx mono install kit, the plates will self locate using existing holes in the tunnel.

I plan to install a mono into one of my nytros for next season. Also going to install one of my progressive rate mono springs on the shock. Should be a great trail sled!

Superman did this install a few years ago and I had a chance to talk to him about it at one of the Munising rides. If I remember, he was pretty impressed. You should check with him to get some tips on the install.

Maybe look into doing coupled with a 128-129" track similar to the relocates for current nytro suspension

Is this going to be for 121 and 136?

Got my prototype mounting plates back and started my mono install today. The plates fit up perfect for the front mount. The factory rear mounts on the nytro tunnel do not need to be altered. Nytro shown in pics is an 11. 08 has a slightly different tunnel design, but my plates will also match right up.

Here's a little explanation on how the kit works. The stock nytro front mount has a triangular washer securred to outside of tunnel with 2 rivets. Once this washer is removed my new outer plate attach to the tunnel using the same 2 rivet holes. The new outside plate also has the new front mount hole for the mono skid. Just Drill through the new outer plate and the front mount is now located. On inside of a tunnel we have an inner plate that gets riveted to tunnel. Using a bolt and nut the inner plate can be secured to the tunnel and then the plate serves as template to drill all new rivet holes.

The mounting plates eliminate all the measuring and figuring. We did all that for you! The conversion kit will include mounting plates, rivets, bolts, and some spacers. The rear cross shaft on mono skid is narrower than the nytro so there will be some longer bolts and spacers to properly secure the rear of skid to tunnel.

Another nice feature of the kit is that it retains the front factory mount. If for some reason you would not like the mono you can easily throw the stock nytro suspension back in the sled.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
which sled is the mono skid from?
What will the benefits be for highly aggressive trail riders?

IMO - none

The stock nytro suspension is lighter and better suited for aggressive riding. I will add that i haven't actually weighed them but it just felt much heavier. I was comparing a 121 mono to my 144 stock nytro suspension to boot.

The mono is supposed to be better at the small stutter bumps for non aggressive girls.:jump:

Any mono 121, 128 or 136 from 05-15 will work with my mounts.

the mono is certainly not a ditch banging skid. If you are a trail rider the mono is hands down a better ride. Mono does suffer from bottoming on big bumps. Our progressive rate big boy springs will address the bottoming without sacrificing the small bump ride quality.

Boy I sure ride with a bunch of Hairy,obese poor figured girls! Who I remember 20 yrs ago were aggressive young men. What happened, sex change? LOL

Have you found out if the single shot is same mounting as the mono? The 128 single shot I think would be a great all around suspension in the nytro if you can find one cheap enough over the winter.

Have you found out if the single shot is same mounting as the mono? The 128 single shot I think would be a great all around suspension in the nytro if you can find one cheap enough over the winter.

Have not spec'd the single shot yet. Going to be a bit til those skids start circulating the used market, so its a low priority right now. The thought I did have though was coming up with a retrofit kit to convert a nytro skid to a single shot......

That would be worth trying. It seams like new front arm with the shock mount should work. But again would need one to look at and compare

Finally got some trail miles on my 2011 nytro with mono shock. Absolutely loved the sled. Jumped back and forth between my viper and the nytro and nytro handled fantastic. Running snow trackers up front on the stock skis. I liked it so much I will likely be selling my viper and riding the nytro!

Back