• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mountaintech 40"+2" review

R00STER

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro xtx 1.75
Got my kit in this weekend so I guess I will start a review on the kit.
Life got in the way some this weekend so I didn't start the install until this morning. First impression was how solid the arms are and how beefy the ball joints are. Now I want tie rod joints to match. I will post weights of the arms later,( forgot the numbers in the sled shed ). The install went as smooth as a silk bag full of puppy dog ears. I put in oillite bushings wich are quite easy to install with the threaded rod method, but I use a coarse thread bolt and washers.
The rest is straight forward following the directions found on the Mountaintech web page. The longest part of it was cleaning all of the cat tails out of every inch of my sled. There is a little back and forth work setting the camber and castor up but it's not too bad. And I got quite lucky this time setting the toe for the skis.
The only hiccup I had was running out of lock tight after the stores have closed. So I was unable to take it out tonight but I will give some first impressions tomorrow night.

I got to take it out for a good run today, and it was incredible!
My XTX finally acts like a true crossover!
I was out for about 150 Km's of both on trail and power line off trail. We got about 4" of fresh snow last night, but it was on a base that was almost like pure ice. The trail portion of my riding today gave a lot of different conditions like snow drift to bare ice then hard pack to loose snow. I found the sled handled it all perfectly, I was pushing it hard and I didn't have a single holly sh!t moment. No inside ski lift, no pushing thru corners and absolutely zero darting just perfect handling. To be honest the trail portion of my ride was like just another day at the office ( wich is a good thing ).
For my off trail I went out on a power line that hasn't hardly been touched this winter. There was the fresh on top but unfortunately there was a good crust lair under that. In the wide open it was hard as hell but in the closed in areas or in the marshes it was "good to go". Now I got to see what I have been missing with my Nytro. For the first time I was able to pull it over onto its side with just a little effort. Then I FINALLY found that it does have a balance point, and I could hold it there with very very little effort. It is no longer just a straight line machine like the stock XTX. I have never been able to carve this machine like I could today. It responded to my input and it was still very stable. Because it's not as narrow as a MTX its not as tippy for carving. You do need a little more input to lean it over, but with the 2" forward design it's not a battle to lean the machine like a stocker.
Right now it looks like the 40"+2's is going to give the best of both worlds. Aggressive trail and responsive off trail.
Now all I need to do is find the reset button for this winter!

Forgot to mention how much it lightens up the steering on trail. I run the limiters pulled up one notch to battle the trenching that the XTX produces with the limiters all the way out. But normally with the limiters pulled up more, the more ski pressure you get. But the kit seems to lighten up the steering a lot. It even feels lighter than it feels when the straps are all the way out. My riding partner agreed that it rides better now than his viper XTX. And in his words "it's a hell of a lot tougher"!

The bushings don't come with the kit as different riders have there own preference of brands. Some like oillite and others like nylatron bushings. I went with the oillites just because I could get them thru my local yammy dealer. Check out the Mountaintech web site for prices on the A arms. I don't know how long it will take for the 40" arms to go into production, but if the other testers find them as great as I do I would guess they will be for sale soon. While on the site I strongly recommend picking up a skid plate! My mountaintech skid plate has saved my bacon more times then I can count!

The 40"+2 is in prototype stages right now. Rooster is one of a few that has started testing it. If results are favorable, it will be available soon. Pricing will be around $649. Bushings are not included. Some people already have bushings they wish to transfer, and then you have the choices.......Oilite, Super Oilite, Nylatron, OEM. The good news is that Mountaintech A Arms use the correct size tubing so that all of the above can be used. If it fits an OEM Yamaha A Arm, it fits a Mountaintech.

That's good to know , getting ready to pull the trigger on some upgrades . I am an aggressive trail rider and need something to over come the stock suspension . this could be just
the thing I am looking for . changing the camber and castor to fine tune is awesome .going to get the star set up and shock set up and now maybe this.

If your strictly trail the 43"+2" kit might be better for you. But if your a crossover guy then keep your eye on the 40" kit. That is the one I'm testing right now, wich is very stable on the trails but also gives you a little more control off trail. Check out the website, you can really tell that he is a nytro guy! You will see some toys you will want to have, I always recomend his skid plate to everyone. I could have used a set of his running board inserts today, fell off a couple of times when my foot slipped off the runner that was full of snow and ice. Gave my viper buddy an opportunity to laugh at me because I got my sled stuck and I too was stuck up to my armpits in a drifted swamp.

Just wondering who has the 43'' + 2 , and is it any good off trail ? the stock set up on my sled is 42'' and its not that bad when I am off boon docking .....
is the problem its harder to pull the sled up on its side ? just wondering I do more trail riding but do go off trail most of the time its on open lakes , fields , with deep
snow on it . I do have a float plate. thanks I hope somebody will chime in that has the 43'' kit.

Just wondering who has the 43'' + 2 , and is it any good off trail ? the stock set up on my sled is 42'' and its not that bad when I am off boon docking .....
is the problem its harder to pull the sled up on its side ? just wondering I do more trail riding but do go off trail most of the time its on open lakes , fields , with deep
snow on it . I do have a float plate. thanks I hope somebody will chime in that has the 43'' kit.
For how you describe your riding then the 40"kit is going to be the one for you. Your riding style is the same as 90% of us flat landers. We hit the trails hard but we can't drive past any powder without ripping it up! Up until now I have fought with my machine and changed my adjustments a million times trying to get this xtx to do everything I wanted. I had all but given up on my dream of having it run hard both on and off trail. Instead of 50/50 you could only set it up for 70/30. If it railed on the trails then it was way too stiff off trail. If you set it up for a fun time off trail then it would ride like a tippy mess on trails.
Let me tell you this, right now I have about 600 km on the test kit and I know that it is going to bring a lot of smiles on the faces of a lot of Nytro riders! I only wish I had this kit 12000 km ago!
It rails the tails and you choose where the machine goes off trail instead of fighting the machine and hoping it goes where you want.

Last edited:

Back