• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

my sled might hate me

maim

Staff member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 apex xtx
2011 apex xtx
2009 phaser rtx/x
1997 et410t/r
1988 vk 540
1704601647893.png
2016 apex xtx

was checking my wheels during pre season on 2016 apex xtx and found #21 loose on the shaft and both wheel mounts loose. i know they where tight during last year preseason. what i found was that they started moving on #19 shaft and as the shaft is aluminum, they ate the shaft and the spacer wore down so it was rattling around on the shaft. shaft is toast from this coming loose. i did discover that you can use the same position shaft from a 2011-15 apex xtx and the wheel mounts fit as well. you need to use the bolts from the 2011-15 to mount the shaft as they are longer than the factory ones on the 2016-18 xtx suspension. to get the sleeve tight again, i filed the ends down square and found a 13/16" id washer that i honed out with a dremmel to use as a spacer. got it all together with used 11 parts other than the spacer sleeve.
1704602595006.png
2011 apex xtx

shaft 24 is the one i used.

now i need to get exup cables as the both just broke on me when trying to cycle valve to adjust it.

Common on these.
Maim, I've used the cross shaft from the 1997-2004 rear suspensions along with the wheels that have the 6205 bearing.

#41 pictured.

View attachment 1750152016 apex xtx

was checking my wheels during pre season on 2016 apex xtx and found #21 loose on the shaft and both wheel mounts loose. i know they where tight during last year preseason. what i found was that they started moving on #19 shaft and as the shaft is aluminum, they ate the shaft and the spacer wore down so it was rattling around on the shaft. shaft is toast from this coming loose. i did discover that you can use the same position shaft from a 2011-15 apex xtx and the wheel mounts fit as well. you need to use the bolts from the 2011-15 to mount the shaft as they are longer than the factory ones on the 2016-18 xtx suspension. to get the sleeve tight again, i filed the ends down square and found a 13/16" id washer that i honed out with a dremmel to use as a spacer. got it all together with used 11 parts other than the spacer sleeve.
View attachment 1750162011 apex xtx

shaft 24 is the one i used.

now i need to get exup cables as the both just broke on me when trying to cycle valve to adjust it.
Some of my cobb jobs like reinforcing egged out vector rail holes when the front shock came loose work fine!! Whatever works! Its ok to reinvent the wheel on these!!lol
Used a steel plate bolted to the rail and drilled new holes....10 years ago!
Also, a friend has 2 apexs with exup, cables broke,so he just fixed them open and he cant tell any difference in performance on either one!

Some of my cobb jobs like reinforcing egged out vector rail holes when the front shock came loose work fine!! Whatever works! Its ok to reinvent the wheel on these!!lol
Used a steel plate bolted to the rail and drilled new holes....10 years ago!
Also, a friend has 2 apexs with exup, cables broke,so he just fixed them open and he cant tell any difference in performance on either one!
i need to do one of these on betsy as the torsion springs mount on the bolts that hold on the rear shock lower mount. already replaced one rail because of this. right now it is patched together with the special washers that are discontinued from the phazer II front w arm mount to the rail and lock tight as i needed to get the 16 in for its annual service.

got cables on order but not coming in until on ty ride. going to make a plate out of body metal to mount to one of the bolts for the sheild to bolt it open for this ride.

i keep the rear axle in stock for the apex xtx sleds as it is used in everything i own but the vk 540 sleds.

Back