• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need a new suit, what do you use?

I bought a Fly jacket when I bought my nytro. The Doo jacket I have is great quality, but the fly jacket has some good features too. Yep, it's black! I have cabelas bibs and they are great and have worn like iron for 7 years now, also in black.

My Outlast is warmest than my klim

I think it's fair to say that there are different levels in each brand. For example, one guy might say Klim is the warmest, and another may say his FXR stuff is much warmer. But you can't compare by Brand alone, as Klim is known first for it's light/waterproof mountain wear. Until the flatlander gear like the Klim Klimate and Keeweenaw came out, it was not known to be the "warmest"

Castle, FXR and others also have insulated and non insulated versions of their gear, and even some with removable liners to get even more versatility. So making blanket statements that one is warmer than the other would be misleading.

Also, brands of fabrics or coatings are not brands of clothing. Products from GoreTex and Outlast are not the manufacturer of the clothing. They are technologies used in making the garment. Gloves and jackets with Outlast technology are offered by a number of manufacturers, but they don't make the clothing themselves. This confusion came about with the latest round of clothing from Yamaha. The only logo other than Yamaha was the Outlast logo, and they don't make the product for Yamaha, but the technology is used.

I hope this clears things up a bit. My recommendation to the OP, if you are flatland trail rider in the Midwest, get good insulation and venting and don't go lightweight unless you are planning on wearing multiple layers. Many of the outfits designed for trail riding have more insulation on the sides or areas that will be exposed to more cold/wind too. Like the front of pant legs, or the top side of gloves with thinner palm sides. That's Midwest cold weather gear for sure!

Good luck!

I have the yamaha Team Tech complete suit with linner and only wear under armor under it and most days have to have the vents open on it to stay comfortable have rode in -20 with it and was warm I could not be happier with it but they dont make it anylonger when i got it it was a close out. you may find one out there still if you are an odd size.

Just switched over to Yamaha, and am now in the market for a new suit. I don't really want to be a cross dresser since I come from Doo. Currently I have the Doo X-Team suit which I love since it is so light and warm (only wear my tek-vest and t-shirt) even on the coldest days. What do you use? There are so many options and prices I don't want to waste money on something I regret buying. I'm a flatlander rider that will go out in any condition, and ya, my windshield offers no protection which I have to consider also.

Advice is always buy black then it does not matter what sled you ride! I really like my Choko suit has worked for 15 years now.

Advice is always buy black then it does not matter what sled you ride! I really like my Choko suit has worked for 15 years now.

Through the years I have added to the collection. If you are a Yamaha Lifer, you really only need Black, Blue, and Red. This year I got some new red Yamaha Floatex and it is really really sweet. Magnetic flap, waist cinch in the pockets, heat reflective interior, a ton of vents AND with the floatex technology, it won't drag you down if you decide to go for a swim.

klim is nice but boring, FXR Team stuff rocks

Choko = good comfort, good Midwest trail riding warmth, great color schemes, options and best of all GREAT price.
I would say you will pay 1/2 or less for Choko gear as compared to Klim or FXR. One note on FXR, everything I have ever purchased that has an FXR logo on it has had major issues with the stitching. I will never again by FXR if they cannot fix their issues with the stitching coming undone and the garment falling apart!!!

I have scott pants and a castle x jacket. Warm and waterproof. I also have Hmk pro shoes and scott gloves and a bro modular2 helmet. both the pant and jacket have zip off layer inside but i have newer had in on, they're to warm even without. And yea its all black since i also have a old ski-doo nordik 500 i use.

Last edited:
klim is nice but boring, FXR Team stuff rocks

Especially those neon colored "mono suits" that they can only get the Sledhead 24/7 staff to wear! I'm obviously getting old, as I can remember back in 1990 when the saying, "friends don't let friends wear day-glow" was coined.

If I put a black light on the dash of my sled, would I look like I was riding my sled to the nearest Rave? oontsa, oontsa, oontsa!

Haha, you will get a thousand opinions on gear. IMO you cant beat Castle X for the money and their venting features. I bought a pair of the new Castle X Fuel G4 pants last year with the soft touch shell. They are really soft and flexible and the most comfortable snowmobile pants/bibs I have ever used. G.B.

Back