• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 08 rtx 136. What do I need???

mshabaz

Expert
Hello everyone!!! Well I bought an 08 rtx 136" for my son. I'm an apex guy so this is new for me!!! I know there are a lot of things that need updating and changed to make it a great handling sled. It's only got 3000 mi on it and got it really cheap. I know I have to put some money in the front end and things. Please. List me what needs to be done to make it right. As alway I'm very appreciative of everyone's help!!!

Ollite bushings for the a arms, i'd vote OFT relocate kit, and skis or put Bergstrom Skegs triple point carbides. i had the OFT and triple points on mine this year, handled great until the carbides wore down (1000 miles). it is probably close to needing copper exhaust donuts, mine has 3100 miles and i dont feel like doing them just to sell it as they are not bad yet. other than that i love the way mine rode and im selling it to get an XTX since i dont want the 121 and dont think it will be worth it to stretch my sled.

It all depends on whats been done to it already. 08 was the most troublesome. I think there was a ball joint update that needs to be done and make sure the a-arms are not tweaked. if ya got the money i hear the hy-gear a-arms are awesome,everything hy-gear does is top notch! New skis like the tuners or at least bergstrom skegs ( they are expensive but they work and they last) I second the oilite bushings You are going to have to work at the setup. There is a ton of info on this site that will be a lot of help. I found with the Nytro that every time you change something on it, it changes how it rides. All sleds need suspensions setup, but id say ride it first see how ya like it, maybe previous owner has it all setup. Just dont get discouraged if it handles poorly there are alot of people that got there 08 to handle great. I dont see the need for oft relocate if your a trail rider that sits most of the time, but everyone on here seems to love it. X wheels and dupont slides are a must for all yamahas in my opinion. If you have a apex you know all about the exhaust donuts. Oh and I almost forgot, The icing on these sleds is the worst problem it has, but im sure when they extended it they dealt with closing the tunnel. the mountain cooler is a nice addition too.

The first thing you should do is protect the machine. First get a Mountaintech skid plate. Then get the Grizz gusset kit. And then a Roll Over Valve.
The oft relocate is really great for comfort as well as a WRP seat that adds 2" of height.
If you are considering new A Arms I'm going to recomend the Mountaintech replacements. They come in 38, 40 and 43" models for whatever your needs and they also move the skis 2-3" forward. They come with kick #*$&@ heavy duty ball joints so you won't need to guess if the updates were done to the sled. I tested the 40" arms this winter and was totally satisfied with them for a crossover setup.
Wider skis help a lot, I'm running Curves Xs with 4" leading edge.
You said it's for your son so I'm guessing a lot of off trail and ditch banging. So that's why I'm listing these things.

Last edited:
yes, its for my son. ill be riding a new viper this year (my wife was nice) and my son has a lot of seat time since a little banger. so he will definitly be doing a lot of ditch banging. as always i really appreciate all the info. fix em up this summer and lets tear em up again this winter!!!!

Back