• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to me! 2010 Nitro RTX SE

Farmer 73

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 NYTRO RTX SE, 2012 VECTOR, 2001 SXR 600, 2001 PHAZER, 2000 PHAZER, 1983 ENTICER EXCELL III
I'm coming off an 2001 sxr 600. I just bought a 2010 Nitro Rtx Se with the stock fox clicker evols for shocks. Except for a pair of simmons ski's the sled is all stock. The sled only has 1690 miles on it and I picked it up for $4500. What upgrades should I do first. My priority is handaling!

Congratulations, you will love the 4 stroke, must post picture of new sled (newbie)

Send shocks to get done for your style and weight, oft relocate and wrp seat. Beyond that it's all preferences. I had hygear trail pro kit on rear shocks and was night and day from before

X2 on Hygear Trail kit and OFT relocate.

Pete

IMO, to make the sled handle better go with the Star Suspension 128" relocate. It better balances the short track making it handle flatter. Stock shocks are fine and have enough adjustment for fine tuning. Other upsides are a better approach angle for top end and it won't trench as bad off trail. Without a doubt, relocating the skid has made my sled much better...yanaha should have done this from day one. It's one of the best upgrades for the short track. Oft relocat or is also a must as I takes the bars out of your lap.

IMO, to make the sled handle better go with the Star Suspension 128" relocate. It better balances the short track making it handle flatter. Stock shocks are fine and have enough adjustment for fine tuning. Other upsides are a better approach angle for top end and it won't trench as bad off trail. Without a doubt, relocating the skid has made my sled much better...yanaha should have done this from day one. It's one of the best upgrades for the short track. Oft relocat or is also a must as I takes the bars out of your lap.
Shadow, Reading all the posts on the relocate kit and observing what the factory team did with the race nitro's this will be my first move. I can use the used track on my Sxr, which needs replacing. I'm a 99% trail rider so I'm thinking a 128 ice attack. Have studs on the old sled and trying to get away from them but still want some controll on ice. Also the Oft will be done right away.
Fishstick, I love the idea of one of the aftermarket frontends out there. Right now I'm leaning to the mountech one because of the adjustibility and strength. The funds will dictate on what to do with that as when it will be done.
Fxnytrokid and Pete, I think I'm going to run the stock shock set up this year because of the wide range of adjustment with the clickers.
I thank you guys for all the suggestions, keep them coming and I will fill you in on what I do. I hear all the horror stories on how the Nytro's handle and as funds allow I want to make this sled work! The money for a brand new sled is just not going to happen.

First off, pat yourself on the back!! What a great buy!! You have change to spare for all sorts of goodies! Enjoy the sick 4-stroke side!
Thanks, thats my game plan!

First thing I always recomend is to protect your investment
1. Mountaintech skid plate
2. Grizz gusset
3. Roll over valve

For handing it sounds like you are on a good track as far as the star kit in the rear. The Mountaintech Aarms are just an awesome product. If you are a trail guy the 43"+2's will fit your build nicely.

For riding comfort I would say
1. Oft relocate
2. WRP seat with 2" rise

RIDE IT FIRST> see how you like it. I have the 2013 rtx and love it, Best handling sled I have ridden (in the trails) but the 2013 has the tuner skis, stock yamaha skis before 2013 are all junk! simmons is probably a great upgrade the previous owner did. I wont dissagree with what anyone says for mods but everyone rides different. Nytos do need larger wheels and maybe dupont sliders, these sleds eat up sliders with stock wheels. And if the tunnel isnt blocked off - that is a must. BUT if you have the money!!! anything hygear does is top notch. Im only 5'10'' I fit the sled very well, so Im not in need of oft relocate or higher seat, but i dont stand alot being a trail rider, everyone told me i needed them both when i bought my sled new at beginning of last year but im very happy without them.

First thing I always recomend is to protect your investment
1. Mountaintech skid plate
2. Grizz gusset
3. Roll over valve

For handing it sounds like you are on a good track as far as the star kit in the rear. The Mountaintech Aarms are just an awesome product. If you are a trail guy the 43"+2's will fit your build nicely.

For riding comfort I would say
1. Oft relocate
2. WRP seat with 2" rise
Rooster, I was thinking about the Mountaintech skid plate. It has the OEM one on there already, should I replace it? Does the Grizz gusset have to be welded in and do I have to fabricate it or can I buy it? Who should I get the rollover valve from?

Last edited:
RIDE IT FIRST> see how you like it. I have the 2013 rtx and love it, Best handling sled I have ridden (in the trails) but the 2013 has the tuner skis, stock yamaha skis before 2013 are all junk! simmons is probably a great upgrade the previous owner did. I wont dissagree with what anyone says for mods but everyone rides different. Nytos do need larger wheels and maybe dupont sliders, these sleds eat up sliders with stock wheels. And if the tunnel isnt blocked off - that is a must. BUT if you have the money!!! anything hygear does is top notch. Im only 5'10'' I fit the sled very well, so Im not in need of oft relocate or higher seat, but i dont stand alot being a trail rider, everyone told me i needed them both when i bought my sled new at beginning of last year but im very happy without them.
Thanks for the responce! It does have the blockoff plate! When you say larger wheels are you saying just the 4 on the rails or the back axle ones as well? When it comes to slides, duponts all the way!

My father is also 5'10" and wrp seat and relocate he rode it and said it was huge improvement, seat lacks enough cushion to allow you to stop moving before bottoming the foam out from factory.

As far as shocks it is the same exact shocks but rebuilt and valved properly. I thought it rose pretty well before and with the clickers I was thinking same thing you are. But since it was time to rebuild I went with their trail pro set up and dual stage center spring, total transformation. I have tons of mods on my sled but a good shock build, seat and relocate are imo a must, also don't relocate without the seat, I'm 6'5" and it would be a stretch for even me from stock seat

Rooster, I was thinking about the Mountaintech skid plate. It has the OEM one on there already, should I replace it? Does the Grizz gusset have to be welded in and do I have to fabricate it or can I buy it? Who should I get the rollover valve from?
The Grizz gusset is sold by a member on the forum here, just do a search for it in the forum and you will find his contact info. It gets welded in to the subframe. As far as the skid plate I will tell you that I ordered mine the first night I brought my sled home and seen the stock piece of plastic.
I bought my roll over from FourStrokeSollutions. I have no complaints about it at all. Easy install and very dependable.

Back