• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to Nytro and deciding between FX and RTX

schwaaa31

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro
Long time Ski Doo rider here that is making the switch. I'm looking at a few 2009 Nytros. I'd like to get something used and relatively inexpensive for this year to try out the 4 stroke. I'm looking at a RTX and an FX. I'm an aggressive rider, but we ride on almost entirely northern Maine and New Hampshire trails. So we're not running into much for bumpy trails, at least not for any extended miles. Is the suspension on the RTX worth the extra dough? Heres a rundown on the sleds.

RTX
$4000
5000 miles
stock skis ($4400 with sly dog skis)
studded track
oilite bushings installed
power commander and piped (I don't really care about the performance mods)

FX
$3800
5300 miles
Pilot skis
studded track that looks to be in a bit better shape
oilite bushings installed
Yamaheater installed
tour buddy fuel tank installed

I'm sort of leaning towards the FX, but I'm looking for input as I'm going in blind being the only Yamaha rider in my group now. any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had an 08 rtx, they are definitely set up stiff. I had to do a revalve on all four shocks to make it somewhat compliant. That being said, these motors are arguably the best on the snow, not a lot on top end but unbelievable torque! The more aggressive you ride the better the sled will handle, lean or hang off the sled to really make it corner. Being that you ride in Maine you should be fine with the fx, I put over ten thousand miles on mine and never touched the motor or clutches. One recommendation, if you get the rtx get a trail tank because the 7.4 gallon tank isn't the best for big miles between stops. My vote go with the fx. Oh yeah one last thing, the fx has a higher windshield which is nice on cold days, the rtx if it has the stock windshield( if you could even call it that) is a real cold ride. Good luck with your decision!

For 200 bucks you get a better sled(shocks). With the few mods it has the rtx will be more fun. The RTX will ride more like your ski doo.

Buy the RTX sell the shocks and buy some good aftermarket shocks and you will be happy

The gytr clicker shocks are very good shocks. Those early floats are harsh in the smaller chop. I ride similar trails to you (norther east coast canada) and my fx was great last year. Best motor I have ever ridden and the thought of engine trouble/failure doesn't cross my mind like it did with 2 strokes.

Condition would dictate which sled I would buy

I would do the FX. Only because of the Yamaheater An the extra fuel capacity. I have a RTX an love it. But I added the TRail tank extra $200. Lookn to get a yamaheater another $200. I think the yamaha tuner skis work great on my sled also. Both good sleds. I get bored on my RTX when the trails are not choppy or rough..

I have an 09 rtx. ... I would say get the base model to save yourself some cash. Sure the adjustable. Shocks on rear are nice but really when do most people screw with them, and the front floats blow. The fronts on base are comp and rebound adjustable and with the hygear springs front and rear you will have a much better suspension package all day long.

I think you're leaning the right direction. The RTX is a great sled for really rough stuff or if you like to get lots of air off of everything you come across, but it's pretty stiff/harsh in normal trail conditions. The FX can definitely take the rough stuff pretty well too, but can be set up to be more plush to take out the trail chatter. Yamaheater is a must-have on the Nytro, and the tour buddy is nice too.... the 7 gallon tank is just too small. Either one will make every effort to rip your arms off, so hang on ;)

Thanks for the great info guys. I am leaning towards to FX because if the skis, yamaheater and tour buddy tank. I ride with a group of Ski Doo ETECs and they don't need to make many gas stops. Also, I'm not riding much rough stuff, and it sounds like the fx can take it anyway when it does get rough. Thanks again!

go with the fx....yamaha heaters are nice to have....fox floats are junk (unless you have the evo's) and the extra fuel with pilots skis....lots of money in mods on that sled

Thanks again for all the input. I went with the FX. Picked it up last night. Very clean sled. I have 2 more questions. It needs slides. Are the Dupont slides a must have? A few places I've checked online say, yeah they're worth it, some say no, don't bother, they wear just as quick as the stock hyfax. Also, how often do you change the oil? He said he did it every year no matter the mileage, which was only 1000 last year, but it's only recommended every 2500? Should I be changing it before this winter? He's been running full synthetic.
image.jpg
image.jpg

My slides last a few seasons, but snow conditions dictate that. I also have extra idler wheels. I have read some on the DuPont slides, and I think people recommend a fully clipped track for them.

Oil should be changed every 2500 miles or every season, whichever comes first.

Look into setting up your suspension, everyone is different, but your front shocks have a lot of preload by the looks of it.

welcome to the family...... oil change should be done every year as sitting (moisture etc...) is just as bad as too many miles. take some tim doing some reading on suspension set-up as it is very important for getting it just right. once set-up properly you will be very happy with it, you don't have to spend a ton of cash on it to make it work really well, just some time playing around with it. there's lots of reading on suspension set-up here.

do some reading there's some really cool nytros here, and some very talented people also. some of the mountain guys are building some amazing sleds.

cheers

Nice sled - congrats! As others have said, changing the oil each season is probably a good idea. If you do it yourself, it doesn't really cost much and it's easy to do, so there's not a big downside to it. I'm still on my first set of Dupont slides w/ 5500 miles on them, had run them on an every-3rd-clipped track for two seasons (which is not ideal) and they are still pretty good - I'm going to use them into this season because I'd like to know what sort of mileage I will see out of them. The standard slides generally wouldn't last that long, but I've used them lots of times in the past and usually get a good season out of them, sometimes more, sometimes less due to conditions. I'd go Duponts if you can swing it.

Back