• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

newer nytro vs viper

tnc110

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder BTX SE, SRXs
Now that the viper has been out awhile and you have logged some miles on it, how does it compare to the late model nytros? There are still a lot of left over nytros out there. If you were in the market to buy a new sled which would it be?

The nytro is thorough bred yamaha and the viper is not....are the vipers going to last as long as a nytro would?
I've heard the fit and finish of the viper is not what yamaha owners are use to. ...what about the quality of the chassis?

The vipers quality has improved every year. But at end of day your going to spend atleast 50% more for a viper over a used or left over nytro. Both need shocks re done imo. The latest viper with the fox coilovers was a good ride from a factory sled, but is 13,000. I don't know about the new tuner skis, but compared to the old tuners or even the cat single keel ski, if you wanted good aggressive handling your searching for another ski also. Nytro really shines with oft relocate and wrp seat with a good shock build and the rtx liked the 128" skid relocate.

I've done a lot to my nytro and ride back to back with my fathers viper (stock at time) and liked my nytro more. My father revalved rear shocks and put Elka stg5 fronts on with c&a skis and said its world of differance. I haven't tried it yet tho with that set up.

The Viper is pretty good right out of the box. I have made many upgrades to my Nytro to incorporate things the Viper already has. ie: upgraded skis on the Nytro to minimize push in the corners where as the Viper turns pretty flat and just needs tweeking, OFT relocate to ease steering effort, block off plate in the tunnel to reduce weight, trail tank for more fuel etc. No regrets with the Nytro. This will be its 6th season with no major issues, and the odometer is at 15,000kms.

For what its worth, Nytro is way easier to work on vs the Viper. When the cowls are off you can get at everything easy on the Nytro.
MS

icon1.gif

I've spent a lot of time on a Nytro and last year picked up a new Viper. They both have very similar ergonomics but the Viper's handling and ride is much better out of the box. The Viper does lag the Nytro slightly when it comes to engine performance although neither has a great top end speed. I think with much less adjusting and modifications the Viper will be a more capable trail sled than my Nytro. So far I'd have to say the Viper's overall performance is superior in comparison to to that of the Nytro's.

I defended the Nytro for years but now realize and admit that it has several downfalls in it's design. Yamaha made the right decision to discontinue the Nytro although I would love to see a revised FX chassis that addressed and corrected some of the issue we consumers found to be troublesome.

Well due to my back, knees and hips I could never ride the Nytro more than a couple of miles before being in major pain. Even last year worked on a shorty and XTX for friends and took them to the UP to test alignments and other mods and just hated them. Both are twitchy and unpredictable when standing and hard on the brakes from 90 to 0. the viper can be ridden all day standing or sitting with no change in the handling. They are close on launch but the nitro takes the viper after 75 until the clutching is addressed.

You can find some great deals on leftover 14 and 15 vipers. Last year I bought a 2015 XTX current year model for $9,200. In my opinion the Nytro is the past, The viper is a chassis that will be a true 10,000 mile ride without much more than some bogies, 1 set of hyfax and grease.

Well due to my back, knees and hips I could never ride the Nytro more than a couple of miles before being in major pain. Even last year worked on a shorty and XTX for friends and took them to the UP to test alignments and other mods and just hated them. Both are twitchy and unpredictable when standing and hard on the brakes from 90 to 0. the viper can be ridden all day standing or sitting with no change in the handling. They are close on launch but the nitro takes the viper after 75 until the clutching is addressed.

You can find some great deals on leftover 14 and 15 vipers. Last year I bought a 2015 XTX current year model for $9,200. In my opinion the Nytro is the past, The viper is a chassis that will be a true 10,000 mile ride without much more than some bogies, 1 set of hyfax and grease.

WOW...how did you manage to find a deal like that????

Jumping and Hardpack trails are where the Viper is so much easier than Nytro. I have 6500mi on mine and no real difference in maintenance except no need for any bushings other than steering stem in Viper. Starting to see alot of 10000 mi + Procrosses out there. So chassis is holding up. Rear suspension needs upgrades though if ridden fast.

I would say the viper is going to be the better sled. I have rode both and the way my nytro it set up I would take mine over a viper but out of the box I would say a viper for sure.

I spent last season on a viper. As many said, they are a better handling sled right out of the box. They corner flatter and riding position is great. When jumping from viper to a Japan sleds such as apex, vector, nytro the viper feels "raw". Its just not as smooth and refined as the Japan sleds. Its kinda hard to explain. Also, If you do all you own wrenching you will appreciate the fit and finish of a Nytro versus the viper.

I haven't sat on a nytro in quite a while. Do both of these sleds sit about the same or are they different in seating positions and bar position?

I haven't sat on a nytro in quite a while. Do both of these sleds sit about the same or are they different in seating positions and bar position?

Similar. I have both - a 2009 Nytro XTX and a 2015 Viper XTX. They are both "upright" rider forward designs. How "upright" and rider forward would have to go to the Viper, it is a VERY comfortable ride - ergos as well as suspension.

OOTB neither sled was all that good for me. 175Lbs aggressive trail riding mostly mixed in with about 20% off trail. Both pushed bad on stock skis and wouldn't turn worth a damn. I have Simmons Gen3 Skis on each of them now. The Simmons are a handful but turn where you point without fail.

Dialed in for me the Viper feels lighter in the handling and I can go faster through the trails on it than I can on my Nytro. So I would say the Viper handles better for me. Very odd though, if you put the Tuners back on the Viper dialed in the way it was, I would choose it dead last every time. Some guys can use the Tuners I have no idea how, short of tightening the limiter straps all the way I could not get it to turn in the Northeast trails.

This year I added the Hygear coupling kit to the Viper so I will have to dial in all over again.

The two sleds are biased differently with regard to weight front and back. Hard to compare them. I've ridden both, owned a Nytro since 2009, my guess is that if your a trail rider... Get the Viper, if you venture off trail more than not, pick up a Nytro (especially an XTX) at a great price and dial it in (good skis are a must).

Back