• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Help Please

Nelipous

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro XTX
2008 Nytro XTX two years ago on a Michigan UP trip the sled started stumbling, back firing, would lose power and die on the trial. Wouldn't start right back up but would after a few minutes with an engine miss. Was able to limp back by repeating the dying and restarting process many times and could kinda keep it running by quickly feathering the throttle. The dreaded code 34 showed up. Changed the plugs and new coil in #2. Didn't solve the problem and dropped the sled at a UP Yamaha dealer and headed home. The dealer put in a new ECU and said it was running good. By the time I could pick the sled up the season was over so no real testing. The next year went on a local ride everything seemed good. Packed up and headed back to the UP and first day out same thing happened and ended up having to hire someone to pick up the sled and get me back to camp. Dropped sled back at Yamaha dealer. Now new crank sensor (pick-up assy) and starter relay assy. Dealer said they test drove 60 miles and no issues. Again season over so no local testing. This year got the sled out and first ride sled worked well and I thought all is solved. The next day started up and didn't sound just right. Made it about a mile and the same thing all over again. Was able to limp back by fanning the throttle while missing and very low power. Code 34. Visually inspected wiring at the reported rub point near the front left of the engine and don't see any signs of wear on the harness jacket and don't see any obvious wiring wear points. Sled has about 2,500 miles on it. I know there are many discussions similar to this one but it seems either the dealer or I have tried most if not all of the suggestions. One thing I can think of is each time it has been warmed up in a garage it has run and then either left out in the cold or in a trailer for the next day the issue occured. Just a thought but not proven. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any chance it might be related to the relays considering how it acts up after being stored in warm climate and then exposed to colder air?

What happens if you bring back into the warm garage? Same symptoms or does it clear up?

This is the first year that I have been home when it acted up. Put it in the garage and started taking it apart to try and find the issue. Still apart so I don't know if warming it along fixes the problem. The starter relay was replaced but not others. I will check these tonight. Mostly trail riding the past two years but before that we did quite a bit of off trail deep snow riding so it could be corrosion with a relay that got wet or is still wet inside. The link you provided for relay issues talks about them being located under the airbox? Guess I didn't dig that deep. I will have to locate them. Do you happen to know of any link that has part numbers or other information about the updated relays so I can order? Thank you for the lead.

It's the connectors that plug into the coils. The female connector inside isn't tight anymore and causing the error code. You can't buy this sub harness separately, so you will need to find a used harness and replace as necessary.

Back