• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro overheat in cold perfect conditions at high speed

terez

Expert
Was on a longer ride in perfect conditions...lots of snow, running fairly high rpm and ground speed. Cold temps...around 20degF

The yellow waring light comes on with the associated temp icon on the dash.

Slow down a bit and the light goes off.
Get back on the throttle and carry some speed and a few mon later the same thing.

Coolant level fine, def no coolant air pockets or bubbles.
Sled runs perfect.
Oil level good.

Is this the front exchanger ice daming?
As is the front exchanger getting encased in ice and not tranfering heat despite tones of snow in the tunnel and cold temps.

This is what I think is happening.
I can stop and let the sled idle for a couple mins...no temp light and then when I get going the condition will repeat.
Doesn't happen with slower ground speeds and or when in out of the throttle in tighter trails.

Anyone see this...can confirm the issue?
I assume getting rid of the front exchanger protectors will help or solve this?
I'm currently studded.
If I keep this bitch it will get a Ice ripper track so the protectors can go.

Do you have a trail tank installed? If so that will not allow clean airflow through the rad. If not it is possible that the exchanger is being dammed as you mentioned. As long as you have no oil in antifreeze or lose of coolant you should be fine. Have you opened the cooling system at all to add anything if so it's possible you have an air lock in the system and require a bleed.

Sled is all stock.
Have never opened the cooling system, coolant level is same as always, never puked or kettled over and has never overheated.
This is why I don't think I have a coolant air pocket...sled has always run well and other than this specific condition this ride has never had an issue.
Also it runs well and doesn't do it at trail speeds and or any other circumstances...I would assume if I had a source of overheating like low coolant, air pocket etc it would be a consistent issue? and would be worse at low ground speeds?

Sounds like a restricted flow issue where the heat builds up.Possibly a collapsing hose or thermostat not fully opening.Could also be the sensor.

Snow packed up between heat exchanger and track . I bet, tip the sled over on the right side and look under the sled .every time my sled heats up that's what it is .

You running on hardpack trails when this happens? I had issues on hardpack and low temps outside. Added ice scratchers (no more overheat lights). I don't need them once trail softens up.

Pete

What herndonp said, I have the same sled and the same problem when on a hard packed trail because there is not enough snow spray getting to the coolers. I added SLP ice scratchers and problem solved.

I have ice scratchers to but on some trail conditions this is what I found out . Light comes on i stop let it cool down , put the scratchers down and the light still comes on . First time it happened , it had some steam coming from the sled and that was what I found ........ I tipped the sled over and it was packed full of snow .. I would of never believed it . It only happens in some conditions.

I've had my heat exchanger get packed with snow once in a packing wet snow condition. A Phazer I was with was having a lot more trouble that day. It happened to him 3 or 4 times. We weren't on a trail though. We were breaking trail on a pipeline

You describe good snow..... But if the snow is really hard, Even though it's packed powder the heat light will come on . I Have been out a number of times with temps as low as -30 C and had this problem. Now with scratchers it solves that.

But if this is happening with fluffy snow, there is a problem. Nytros typically don't create ice dams like the phazer, but the tunnel can get closed in with ice but only on dyas well below -15 C.

The thermostat or pinched coolant line are worth looking at.
Good luck
Ms

Back